The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog ate collar . . . AGAIN!

Default Dog ate collar . . . AGAIN!

I just brought my 3 year old in from his kennel and found the buckle and d-ring of a leather collar, still attached to a small bit of the leather. The remainder of the collar, about 20", nowhere in sight. He did this two years ago with a smaller, synthetic fiber collar. All came out fine in the end . I had put the collar on top of a cooler outside his kennel. He must have been able to reach his paw through and drag it in. I am planning on feeding him a bunch of pumpkin, (there goes Thursday's pie) and keeping a close eye on him. I am afraid inducing vomiting might be rougher on his insides than getting rid of it in the conventional way. Any thoughts? I will of course head straight for the vet at the first sign of discomfort or stress!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

It sounds like someone didn't learn the first time.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

I thought the pumpkin was to stop them up? I have been instructed to do the pumpkin when our dogs had diarrhea. Did not know it worked the other way as a laxative.

Try the heavy plastic - we go for day-glo orange - collars. Not much to like for chewing. Of course, it's hard for pup to chew when it's on his neck.
    As for now I should not worry too much. If a dog's gut can digest heavy leather chews, pigs ears, sticks and assorted other stuff I wouldn't think a leather collar would create a problem. Watch pup, and get to the vet if he goes off his feed, stops drinking water, goes off schedule on his poop routine or shows any sign of abdominal discomfort.
    Last edited by Good Dogs; 11-25-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
    I thought the pumpkin was to stop them up? I have been instructed to do the pumpkin when our dogs had diarrhea. Did not know it worked the other way as a laxative.
    I thought the same. When this happened before, a vet told me to use pumpkin as it is almost pure fiber and shifts everything. Somehow the same properties help clear up other stomach problems as well.
    Carol,

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I thought the same. When this happened before, a vet told me to use pumpkin as it is almost pure fiber and shifts everything. Somehow the same properties help clear up other stomach problems as well.
    Good to know. I would think you will be fine. Their stomachs are tough and usually will work its way out. Should be good while just keeping an eye on him. I have heard horror story more about strings they eat rather than just chunky stuff. Just think the leather is really just cow skin right.

Mineral oil
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Need some collars Carol? I gotta box full in the garage. PM me your color and style choice...
    Each dog, Jill, Rif and Chloe have a flat buckle collar (color coded) that hangs in the garage with their pertinent info tags,(Rabies, Chip ID, Village license, etc. I engrave the back of Rabies tag with dogs name and a couple ph #'s. and $REWARD$.
    They only wear collars occasionally, like if I'm taking Rif to the soccer field for pattern blinds where the local ACO may ask.
    Rif and Chloe always wear an E-collar when training or hunting. Well Rif anyway. Chloe wears whatever she wears in NE.... Jill don't wear nothing cause she stays home mostly.

When they are on though,they are tight. I've had to search for a loose collar at the ranch before.

How's the snow? We had a little overnight but it's mostly gone now.

Happy T'day

H&M
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Hugh, I can't hang anything near Chief! We don't use collars much, but this time I really thought I had it out of the way. He is just very determined. I hope he will be alright.
    the snow is almost a foot deep!
    Carol,

May sound mean, but give him a collar and if he takes it, kick his ass till he learns to leave them alone.
    Personally I think he'll be fine as a leather collar is much softer and should pass, look at what rawhides are made of and dogs pass them all the time.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.