The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Dog ate collar . . . AGAIN!

  1. #11
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    May sound mean, but give him a collar and if he takes it, kick his ass till he learns to leave them alone.
    Personally I think he'll be fine as a leather collar is much softer and should pass, look at what rawhides are made of and dogs pass them all the time.
    Has this worked for you in the past? Did this cause the dog to trust you less? How may times did you have to do it before he learned that the object was to be left alone?

  2. #12
    Senior Member 2tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    7,819

    Default

    I would not try this approach with this dog. For all of his mischief, he is very sensitive and a little shy. I learned early in training that you move slowly with him and "show" him many more times than you "tell" him. It is my responsibility to keep things out of his reach, after all I'm supposed to be the smarter one here.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orange Ca
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Did all come out ok, pun intended?

  4. #14
    Senior Member metalone67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oh
    Posts
    2,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Has this worked for you in the past? Did this cause the dog to trust you less? How may times did you have to do it before he learned that the object was to be left alone?
    About as effective as the number of time you burned a dog on a back command.
    The best way I found is to beat the dog into submission then put the boots to them then starve them no water until they figure it out.
    I guess I'll have to explain what kicking his ass is. GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Carol Cassity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Crestview, FL
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    About as effective as the number of time you burned a dog on a back command.
    The best way I found is to beat the dog into submission then put the boots to them then starve them no water until they figure it out.
    I guess I'll have to explain what kicking his ass is. GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I really hope you are kidding.
    Carol

    CH HRCH Rippling Waters Lagundo Sula MH - Sula
    GRHRCH Rippling Waters Talladega MH 500 Point Club - Tally
    HRCH Rippling Waters Capt. Marvel - Shazam
    HRCH UH Ambertrail's Bring The House MH 1,000 Point Club - Blitz
    GRHRCH UH Rippling Waters Daytona MH 500 Point Club - Day
    HRCH Rippling Waters Fire In The Hole MH

  6. #16
    Senior Member Colonel Blimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mid Wales UK
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    TT posted
    It is my responsibility to keep things out of his reach, after all I'm supposed to be the smarter one here.
    Yupp.

    Sometimes training issues between US and UK can be misunderstood, so I may have got this wrong or perhaps I haven't grasped all that's going on, but on the face of it I see a known chewer in a kennel wearing or having access to a chewable collar. Why? What is to be gained? If the dog is secured, take the b****y thing off; better yet never put it on unless the situation demands it by law or statute. My lot hardly wear a collar of any sort from one years end to the next.

    A handy tip I picked up from a German Vet...... if the dog has recently ingested something that would be better passing through than coming back, par boil a bowl of shredded white cabbage and give it to him. The leaves wrap themselves round anything sharp and the mucilage eases the way. It's worked for me a couple of times.

    As for
    I guess I'll have to explain what kicking his ass is. GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pray proceed.

    Regards

    Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 11-26-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,739

    Default

    The way the Pumpkin scenario was explain to me is yes it's all fiber so it'll make runny stool solid; but it'll also wrap around and encase most any object in the gut-intestine allowing it to pass without damage. Worked such on a pretty mean stick that one of my dogs accidentally swallowed, resulting in serious constipation and bloody stool, I was pretty happy to see that orange goo exit the body, saved us from surgery.

    I wouldn't worry to much about a leather collar (w/o the hard-ware); it's a pretty natural material, I've loss a bunch of those to different dogs, but never had a problem with them passing, be glad most dogs seem smart enough not to eat the metal pieces .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-26-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

    GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

  8. #18
    Administrator Chris Atkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mount Zion, IL
    Posts
    6,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    May sound mean, but give him a collar and if he takes it, kick his ass till he learns to leave them alone.
    Personally I think he'll be fine as a leather collar is much softer and should pass, look at what rawhides are made of and dogs pass them all the time.
    I added the bold.

    Yes, it does sound mean. The way that it is worded, it is not representative of good dog training.

    Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

  9. #19
    Senior Member 2tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    7,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    TT posted
    Yupp.

    Sometimes training issues between US and UK can be misunderstood, so I may have got this wrong or perhaps I haven't grasped all that's going on, but on the face of it I see a known chewer in a kennel wearing or having access to a chewable collar. Why? What is to be gained? If the dog is secured, take the b****y thing off; better yet never put it on unless the situation demands it by law or statute. My lot hardly wear a collar of any sort from one years end to the next.

    A handy tip I picked up from a German Vet...... if the dog has recently ingested something that would be better passing through than coming back, par boil a bowl of shredded white cabbage and give it to him. The leaves wrap themselves round anything sharp and the mucilage eases the way. It's worked for me a couple of times.

    As for Pray proceed.

    Regards

    Eug
    Eug, I NEVER leave the collar on in the kennel. The only time my dogs wear them is for hiking trails or in town where the local dog police like to see that bit of bling hanging off their necks! We had been to town the day before, and in haste I put the collar down on top of a box about a foot await from the kennel. I underestimated his determination and reach! No more.

    For goin2dirt, he seems just fine today, but I didnt see any bits of leather in the morning delivery so I think I'm going ahead with more pumpkin.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I just brought my 3 year old in from his kennel and found the buckle and d-ring of a leather collar, still attached to a small bit of the leather. The remainder of the collar, about 20", nowhere in sight. He did this two years ago with a smaller, synthetic fiber collar. All came out fine in the end . I had put the collar on top of a cooler outside his kennel. He must have been able to reach his paw through and drag it in. I am planning on feeding him a bunch of pumpkin, (there goes Thursday's pie) and keeping a close eye on him. I am afraid inducing vomiting might be rougher on his insides than getting rid of it in the conventional way. Any thoughts? I will of course head straight for the vet at the first sign of discomfort or stress!
    After reading all your post to other people, I can't believe how careless you are with your dogs. YOU should have known the possibility of your dog getting the collar. I truly hope you do some serious soul searching!!! I hope nothing bad happens to the dog!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •