The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Vest Experts

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    The only vest that I'll use anymore, is the 5mm Cabelas Deluxe, with the Armor-flex chest guard.

Zippers and handles don't belong on dog vests.
    A two inch wide strip of Velcro, is perfect.

And that Armor-flex is really tough stuff.
    I'll second that.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksDogsDownriggers View Post
    I'll second that.
    Especially when the dog gets snag on dead fall. Just do some repetitions on donning the vest at home and they will treat it like and other device you put on them. Lay vest on ground or floor at home and call your dog. Lift slightly on front legs to align the front part of vest and the rest is pretty easy. Make sure vest is tight on the chest.

Edit to post: At the blind, I have a energizer head LED on my hat and place the LEDs on red. This gives me enough light to be able to don on the vest with no problems. Again if you do this several times at home, it shouldn't be a problem at the blind. Cheers.....
    Last edited by BJGatley; 11-25-2013 at 10:32 PM.

I had an Avery with the zipper and had a very hard time getting the zipper zipped. Put my finger threw the vest and Avery customer would not make it right. Don't know yet what I will buy when my pup gets full grown.

I have 2 Avery zipper vests. I must be talented cause I don't have any problems putting them on the 3 different dogs I have. They are standing when I put them on. Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    I have 2 Avery zipper vests. I must be talented cause I don't have any problems putting them on the 3 different dogs I have. They are standing when I put them on. Don
    In order to function, a neo vest needs to fit tight.

Think "How would I want a wetsuit to fit on the hottest chick I can imagine?"

A neo vest is a dog's wetsuit. It works to keep the dog warm while it is immersed in the water. And it can only keep the dog warm, if it keeps water trapped tightly against the dog's skin.

The only way that you can really understand the concept, is to put on a wetsuit and jump in really cold water.
    The wetsuit that keeps you warmest, is the one that fits skin tight.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 11-25-2013 at 11:26 PM.

I have had three vests, two with zippers, one just veil roe, the newest is zippered with handles. If I hunted much around dead falls I would agree with no handles no zippers, but the velcroe one does come off in the water from time to time..... Dog looks at you funny when you send him back out to retrieve it. In clean open water and flooded corn/milo I perferr the zipper. It is MUCH easier to do it though with the dog standing. And I usually put it on the dog when I put my waders on, which is at home in the warmth and light when my fingers are not encumbered by gloves or cold and my butt is on a comfortable seat.....
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

My Avery vest is a nightmare to put on the dog. It is very difficult to get the zipper fed and started. I think there is a problem with the zipper or the design. It is easier, but not easy, to zip the vest when it is not on the dog. I have had zipper vest before and they worked great. First Avery vest and I'm not impressed.
    Tequila Smells Like Jail

Founding Member of the Church of Frank Price

Banded 5mm dog vest has zipper and velcro that is easy to get started and put on. Does have some built in floatation also. Highly recommend trying one.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

I get the best fit "out of the box" with the Avery Boater's Parka. It seems to be more tapered, but you have to modify all of them. Problem with the Avery is that the zippers crap out after a season at most for me. So, I have gone back to cutting/glueing Cabela's vests, as the velcro does NOT crap out after a season. They don't fit as well, but I have found Cabelas to last longer with less hassle. I have no problem getting either vest on the dogs by myself.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

I use a little soap on the zipper and it works just fine for me.