The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Vest Experts

How do you measure for a dog vest?

You measure the dogs neck, chest and abdomen, and consult the sizing charts put out by the companies that sell them. You can find them online.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

I have the Avery Boaters dog vest, I added a key ring to the zipper pull,to be able to get my finger in the loop . Also reach under your dog stomach ,right in between his thighs ,with a little upword pressure any dog will stand up,makes it easier to zip, then I make sure the key ring is tucked under the velcro to avoid hang-ups on snags while working. If I had one I'd use the survival para cord ,little keychain thingies, gives you plenty to grab,yet would'nt cause a snag issue. I've got a Banded vest on order,interested in seeing how it works, all vest need to be snug to help with warmth and keep help from snagging trees limbs. I also cut the D ring odd of the vests as that looks like a limb hanger.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    How do you measure for a dog vest?
    You go into Cabela's, Bass-Pro, Sportmans etc. take the dog unwrap every vest they have and try them on. You find the best one to fit your dog, then you grumble to the store clerk about terrible selection (no right, size, color, material etc.) Go home and order the vest you know from trying them all on fits your dog in the (size-color material) you want online, @ half the price .

Or the other way (take these measurement, that are "supposed" to work )order online, from cabela's then send it back and forth 2-3 times to get a size that sort've fits; Still I find shipping things back and forth to be SoOOO Impersonal, thus I prefer the unwrapping in the store way .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-26-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I'd think it'd be hard to order online and have one fit right. My dog for example, had a medium neck, XL chest, and medium stomach so none of them really fit right. Smaller the better i suppose so that the fit is tight enough to provide any warmth - i agree if you are close enough to a retail outlet with an assortment take your dog in and try them on.

My Avery dog vest ripped along the seam next to the zipper. So..... I went to Academy and bought a game winnner and everything was good. I believe it only cost $24, so it saved a little. There are no handles or rings, just a vest. With all this said, I found the zipper a little easier to use. Who knows.
    HRCH "Kennedy" MH

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    Banded 5mm dog vest has zipper and velcro that is easy to get started and put on. Does have some built in floatation also. Highly recommend trying one.
    i'd like to hear how the banded one holds up after some time. i think they have some quality control issues going on so i haven't bought any other their stuff. and i have friends that are pro staff for them

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    The only vest that I'll use anymore, is the 5mm Cabelas Deluxe, with the Armor-flex chest guard.

Zippers and handles don't belong on dog vests.
    A two inch wide strip of Velcro, is perfect.

And that Armor-flex is really tough stuff.
    i love my handles. i use them all the time picking the dog up into the boat or wherever. i have probably a dozen avery's and only issues i have had with them is that sometimes where the zipper starts, it has pulled away from the neo and makes it hard to zip. just needs a few stitches to repair. it does need to be tight on the dog but the neo can be cut on some at certain spots to loosen alittle. and make sure the vest is thawed out and flexible when putting on the dog.

I have an Averys and a Cabelas. The Avery is a bit of a challenge to zip up, but doable, my problem with it, is it is very short front to back for my dog. Both vest fit nice and snug and while the Cabelas is a bit short, the Avery barely covers either dog's rib cage, well short of their "you-know-what". The Avery is labeled a large while the Cabelas is not labeled. Both of my dogs are medium large males, 72 and 78 pounds.

I don't think the Dokken dog vest has been mentioned yet. I have one of every vest (almost) and by far the dokken 3mm fit my dog the best. It fits tight around the abdomen, neck, and shoulders. The problem is with the zipper. It sucks period. Once zipped it would stay fastened (has Velcro also), but zipping was a pain. But I would still choose it over my Avery ones any day. I read somewhere the the 5mm doesn't really keep the dog warmer (but does offer more protection than the 3mm obviously), but the 3mm can stretch around the contours of the dog, therefore holding in more of the dogs heat. Just my opinion. If it were me I would get the dokken and get a heavy duty zipper sown in.
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace MH (FC AFC Espirits power play x Viking calamity Kate MH)

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill