The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dog Vest Experts

Quote Originally Posted by woodgoat View Post
    I looked at the Rivers West and liked it. My question is can it be modified if need be without compromising the vest. It looks like the seems are rolled and sewed.
    I don't think you would want to cut it. It's the best fitting vest I've seen for my Chessie. The cut is right.

i got a pic message from the op this morning. he got the vest on and secured before a cold, big water, east coast, open water hunt. i know he appreciated all the input and will likely follow up here!
    john mccallie

With any of them, you have to cut and recement some to get them to fit properly. They are like a suit. How many folks as a percentage of the population can just wear a suit straight off the rack? That's way the stores have seamstresses and tailors. Its part of the "dog joy" to operate on a vest to get it to fit properly.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    I will run my dog with a vest during field goose hunts, the ground is pretty cold for laying on especially when snow gets in the mutt hut, and it will help protect against the corn stalks.
    x2..........
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Make sure the male side of the zipper is all the way into the other half. I don't have any trouble withe mine. And wouldn't have one without handles...all depends on where you hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    i got a pic message from the op this morning. he got the vest on and secured before a cold, big water, east coast, open water hunt. i know he appreciated all the input and will likely follow up here!
    John is right.

I got absolutely lucky that at 4:30am, by myself, I got his vest on in about 30 seconds. I'm sitting down (wheelchair)…..laid the vest on my lap…….he gets partially on my lap……..slipped legs and zipped it (first try).

I just got the cabbalas vest in mail this afternoon. I will try that too and look at Rivers West as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Archery1973 View Post
    John is right.

I got absolutely lucky that at 4:30am, by myself, I got his vest on in about 30 seconds. I'm sitting down (wheelchair)…..laid the vest on my lap…….he gets partially on my lap……..slipped legs and zipped it (first try).

I just got the cabbalas vest in mail this afternoon. I will try that too and look at Rivers West as well.
    Good deal. Glad it work out for you. Hunt on.....

Emmy in her new neoprene vest .jpg
    I am no expert and I didn't read all of these threads - but we just went hunting in North Dakota where it was 28 degrees and snowing. I bought a vest from Cabelas that fastens up the back with velcro. It was very easy to put on by myself. I also liked that it didn't have any gewgaws hanging off it to get caught on branches/weeds.
    Randall

HRCH Truline's Cleopatra MH (Cleo)

Prime Time Rising Star MH ***(Emmy)
    Wyco's Lena-Linda con Besos SH (Lena)
    HRCH Surry's Smoking Gun SH (Sage) RIP

Licking Run's Blackberry Jam MH (Berry) RIP

Just got the Cabela's 5mm vest with the armor guard for my yellow Lab, Diesel. The velcro is nice for adjusting fit, and with a little trimming it fits him pretty good. It doesn't seem to bother him and he's used to it already. I got the blaze orange one, for pheasant hunting. He's pretty red in coloring, so he tends to blend into the cover sometimes. I can see him a lot easier now, and the armor will help protect him. He's pretty energetic when it comes to hunting, so he needs it.

Things are already icing up here in the northeast with below average temperatures. Hunting is heating up though but the challenge is keeping things from freezing .... Including my retrieving partner. Avery vest with some tailor work keeps her teeth chatter to a minimum as she swims through the slush. Propane heater helps her too ... Well I tell my hunting buddies it's for the dog
    Muck Madness Retrievers
    Mark Berger
    Chittenango, NY

Emerald City Reba, SH
    Emerald City Rosie SH
    Muck Madness Hurricane ... "Cane"
    Muck Madness Bailey's Irish Cream ... Bailey

www.muckmadnessretrievers.com

"How you do anything is how you will do everything".