DO NOT DECIDE TO NOT TREAT!
I have chronic Lyme Disease. I was misdiagnosed by my former physician for over 5 years. It was only when I ended up in the emergency room with what the doctors thought was a heart attack that I finally learned that I had chronic LD. I have done a lot of research about LD and have dealt with it with both one of my dogs as well as just recently with my SAR horse, Peso.
Doxy was/is the drug of choice. However, when treating an 1000 lb horse, the cost becomes unreal. The treatment for Peso was a course of Doxycycline for 8 weeks. The current cost of Doxy is $11,200.00. I was lucky in that I had enough Doxy on hand for 9 days of treatment. Since I could not afford to continue with Doxy, my vet checked with Cornell and found that, since the shortage of Doxy and it coming back on the market at such an expensive cost, treatment is now being given by using Minocycline, an antibiotic in the same "family" as Doxy. The cost for the rest of Peso's treatment dropped to $940.00. We will still have to do a couple more blood workups to see if his LD titer is dropping and each one of those costs over $100.00. I just gave him his last dose of Minocycline last night. Now to wait 6 months to do another titer.
Do treatment.....you don't want it to become chronic.
(PS - Peso was prescribed 50 capsules of 100 mg Doxycycline twice a day; after I was out of the Doxy, he was prescribed 20 capsules of 100 mg Minocycline twice a day)