The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which E-collar to ask for Christmas??

I've only had experience with TriTonics, very good experience over the past 20 years. I know others who are similarly happy with their Dogtra's. I'm not up on all the different models that are available now, as I have only used my TT Pro 500 since 1999 and haven't been in the market for a new one.

I have a TT and previously owned a SD. The TT has a great charge and I've yet to charge it. My SD needed charged every night and it was so so with range. As far as Dogtra I don't know enough about them to give a review. I'm just wondering what happens if you break that LED screen and can't see the level your on
    OWNED BY:
    Longhorn Lacey's Boomerang "Boomer"
    Brio's Jollycurl to Bravo First Over Under SH WCQ "Parker"
    Brio's Bravo to the Lookout "Cora"

Kyle Crump

When I use it, I love my Dogtra 3500NCP. It has a pager on it which is very useful. Just got the new one this past summer. My old one which I had and still works but battery is going is 8 years old. Great collar and works well in our cold in SW Ontario. JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Better get a TT Pro 500 tube style before they stop making it, since Garmin bought Tri Tronics.
    Gregg Leonard

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QA2 FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2 NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QA2
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH QA2

Quote Originally Posted by golfandhunter View Post
    Better get a TT Pro 500 tube style before they stop making it, since Garmin bought Tri Tronics.
    Is this true? My 500 is over a decade old, I don't have the extra cash now, but I wouldn't want to miss out. Is this an end of the year thing?

Is buying American made products important to you? It was to me , that is why I chose Tri Tronics. But now things are different...

Tri-Tronics Inc., a subsidiary of GPS-device maker Garmin Ltd., has closed its local electronic dog-collar manufacturing operation, laying off about 60 production workers as production is moved to Taiwan. But the company is keeping about 28 employees in Tucson to continue doing design and engineering work, and that operation is expected to expand, Garmin spokesman Ted Gartner said.“It is definitely not going away,” Gartner said of the engineering group, citing more than $1 million in upgrades the company has made to its design facilities in the past year.
    Manufacturing employees were notified in January that the production operation here would be closed, Gartner said, and the factory was shut down last week.
    Garmin, a Swiss company known for its global positioning system navigation devices, acquired Tri-Tronics in July 2011 for an undisclosed price.
    Tri-Tronics was founded in Tucson in 1968 and became a leader in electronic dog collars used by hunters, breeders, trainers and pet owners.
    Gartner said Garmin decided to close the local manufacturing floor so it could take advantage of larger economies of scale at its extensive production facilities in Taiwan.
    Laid-off production workers were offered severance packages and job-hunting assistance through state and local agencies, Gartner said.

I haven't fully kept up on the latest collar goings on aside from TT, Dogtra, etc.

If one wanted to buy new, 'American' collar, what would be the choice(s)?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

woop's wrong thread, deleted post...

I talked to TT this summer. They assured me that their tube style collars were an "anchor product" and they weren't going away.

Of course things change.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    I talked to TT this summer. They assured me that their tube style collars were an "anchor product" and they weren't going away.

Of course things change.
    The rumor is that the new pro series will have a digital readout and button adjuster replacing the six position selector. switch. Second hand information, so we'll see.