The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which E-collar to ask for Christmas??

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    The rumor is that the new pro series will have a digital readout and button adjuster replacing the six position selector. switch. Second hand information, so we'll see.
    That may be good. I've always used TT. I have an older Pro 500 and a G2. I just discovered that the old one works on 1 through 4 but doesn't on the 5. Probably the problem is in the selector.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    That may be good. I've always used TT. I have an older Pro 500 and a G2. I just discovered that the old one works on 1 through 4 but doesn't on the 5. Probably the problem is in the selector.
    You can try twisting the switch back and forth quickly a few times to clean off the contacts. That has worked for me.

I have , in the past, used DT systems, a Dogtra back in the early 90's, a SD 400, and TT Pro 100 and now a Pro500. The Sport Dog was a waste, never held a charge, and collar would work when it wanted to. DT was a great collar, and I liked it, but their quality is no where near what it used to be, and my ex wife took my older model out of spite when she left. Dogtra was a good collar, but you always needed to look at it when you used it, and it just didn't feel right?? The Tri-tronics by far are the most durable, easy to use with out looking at them, offer more levels before you need to turn the knob, are expandable to three dogs, (Dogtra only two). And out of all of them, hold a charge the longest!! Yes, a bit higher priced, but worth every dollar!!
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Started out with a TT Field 60, used the EXP collar, but handled only one dog and range was a bit limited. TT offered a trade up program so I went all the way for a Pro 500. It's been great except for a few times I forgot to flip the switch and "corrected" the wrong dog. It's on its way to the factory for some service for the first time in eight years. In the meantime, I am using a friend's Pro 100. Not sure I don't like it better than the 500. Controls are a little simpler and no multiple dog accidents. So if I were buying today for training, I might just go for a Pro 100. If I were buying for hunting, I would get some collar rather than a tube. Wish I had kept the field 60 for hunting.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

We used Tritronics for probably 30 yrs. and then had so much trouble with an in-warranty collar of theirs. Sent back three times and not fixed. It was just before they sold out to Garmin. Traded the TT in for a Dogtra and have never had one single issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TEX21 View Post
    I just got a Dogtra 1900NCP and I love it so far. Its easy to work and compact.
    Perfectly sufficient and reliable for the job at hand, and $220 vs. $500 bucks for TT 500
    Darrin Greene

FYI : Cabelas has the Tri Tronics Classic 70 G3 EXP on sale for 249.00 thru Dec 4 regular price is 369.00
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Puwal View Post
    We used Tritronics for probably 30 yrs. and then had so much trouble with an in-warranty collar of theirs. Sent back three times and not fixed. It was just before they sold out to Garmin. Traded the TT in for a Dogtra and have never had one single issue with it.
    In all fairness, you mentioned only one (1) TT problem over 30 years. That's pretty good in my book.
    Additionally you haven't used Dogtra for a similar period of time to offer a fair comparison.

I will offer this...and I'm a noob.

I had a SD1825 for a while. The transmitter battery pooped out after one year, and the unit proved not entirely reliable.
    Moved on to a secondhand TT500 G3 EXP and it has worked exceptionally well from day one, awesome battery life too.
    My son has a Dogtra 1900NCP for the last 2 years and reports all is good with that unit as well.
    Not 30 years experience, but electronics tend to suffer from infant mortality a lot.
    As for customer service, SD was good, sent a new battery foc. Never had to talk to either TT or Dogtra, so no comment...
    YMMV
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Dogtra 3500 no need to look at the others.