The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Describe your Bottom to me.

Default Describe your Bottom to me.

Well that dog has a lot of bottom.
    That dog better have a lot of bottom.
    Your going to need a dog with a lot of bottom to get through that program.

When You use the word bottom when talking dogs, what are you personally talking about?

I think there are a few definitions.

Itís getting so I donít know my own bottom.

Help me.

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

The glutes that you smack with the training stick?

Amy Dahl

like John here-
    Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    I hope that young dog has a lot of "bottom"

john
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    The glutes that you smack with the training stick?

Amy Dahl

HA!!! Coffee out the nose.....

Don't fear Ken, my bottom is huge and I often times have no idea where it is-especially in the field. Fortunately my boys have enough to keep going and keep trying.

both hands & a flashlight in the dark regards,

I equate a lot of bottom with being able to take a lot pressure and still perform.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

The first seminar I went to, running my NFC Prize daughter and being pretty green, the instructor said something about me having a lot of bottom to work with there and he sure liked it. I'd already been shown I didn't understand much of this language in the first 5 minutes when the instructor asked me what kind of progrm I was using, Lardy or ? Direct/indirect pressure? Attrition? He might has well have been speaking Swahili, that is how green I was. So the bottom comment was explained as a dog that can take a lot of pressure, bounces back from correction, learns from it, doesn't pout and hold a grudge and is ready and willing to keep going, be it big water, ton of cover, difficult new concept, etc.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I recently saw some photos of a guy in a swamp up to his knees and another guy with a handful of explosives of some sort. I'm not 100% certain of the final outcome, but if that guy would get back in that swamp AGAIN, I would say he had a lot of bottom.

JS
    ďDonít wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.Ē Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American, though it may be too little too late now.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    I equate a lot of bottom with being able to take a lot pressure and still perform.
    Or, to expand this, not just pressure but discouragement, mistakes, punishing conditions, confusion, fatigue, injury, being asked to to more than they were ever trained for, and never showing ANY SIGN of doubt or worry, nothing but the unflagging desire to rise to the challenge.

The kind that inspire us. And create a need for us to take responsibility for their safety; John tells a story about Pam Bird going out into the field to get Itchin' To Go so he wouldn't hunt himself to death on a mark.

Amy Dahl

Hmm...
    I guess I think a dog with a lot of bottom, has, no fear...
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Bottom can be developed to a point that someone would say hey that dogs got alot of bottom,,
    but in reality if it wasnt developed some one would say,to the same exact dog ,,,man that dog is soft and cant handle pressure,,it'l never make it

Pete