The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to start formal OB

Default When to start formal OB

I have an 5 month puppy that I am starting to prepare for formal OB. What signs should I look for to show me that the puppy is mature enough for this training?

Pups are old enough to start training when their eyes are open. Just be sure to adjust to where the pup is in its maturity, regardless of age. Some pups may be able to handle 15 minutes of drill, some only a couple. Learn your pup.

Most pros like Lardy would say about six months. But if it is a personal dog I would say he's ready now to start ob. I wouldn't start force hold until he has all his permanent teeth. Other than knowing his name I don't know of any other signs to look for.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Pups are old enough to start training when their eyes are open. Just be sure to adjust to where the pup is in its maturity, regardless of age. Some pups may be able to handle 15 minutes of drill, some only a couple. Learn your pup.
    WOW, when are pups eye's have just opened they cant stay awake for 15 min.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by logy View Post
    I have an 5 month puppy that I am starting to prepare for formal OB. What signs should I look for to show me that the puppy is mature enough for this training?
    As you know, 'formal' obedience isn't merely taught. Pressure is involved in formalizing obedience, so your read of the pup will have to be done first hand. How is his attention span? By now you will have CC'd to "Here" (You're finishing that up, right?). He should show you how sensitive he is under those conditions, and that should lead you to decide when to start sticking to sit, for example.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Jackie Merten's "Sound Beginnings" Retriever Training DVD along with the book The Monks of New Skete's "The Art of Raising a Puppy" for visual training along with explaining the developmental stages of a puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by logy View Post
    At 5 months, he's probably ready. Here is a link to YBS media, who handles the sales for one of the pros who advertises on the forum. (He also won the National 7 times, so he knows what he's speaking of). Good luck with your pup!

https://www.ybsmedia.com/index.php/shop
    Bill Davis

Evan, i am in a similiar situation as the OP. My dog is a little over 5 months, I CC'd to here right as he turned 4 months old.
    My question is, now that we are about to start the true formal obedience (heeling stick, ecollar for heel and sit, etc.), should we re-visit the CC to come where I bring the dog all the way up the power scale on the Ecollar and give him light restraint and all of that like in the obedience DVD?

We did it at 4 months with very low levels of stimulation and no restraint after I gave the come command as shown in the puppy DVD.

Yes, but spend some time with Heel & Sit first. Do some pressure conditioning with the heeling stick. Then you will likely only need a session or two of CC to 'here' to finish it off. Plan on 3-5 days of stick to sit so you're not relying on fewer sessions with overt pressure to solidify your dog.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Formal OB often starts the day after you find yourself saying two things 1) "The honeymoon is over." and 2) "There are some things I should have been doing."
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)