The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Making Detroit Green

Default Making Detroit Green

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/24...nd-in-detroit/
    While there is dispute about whether this "corporate" farming is a good thing or a bad thing, it may stimulate more of the community gardens that have begun in Detroit as well.

An orchard or a tree farm has to be better than urban blight. Actually, it should be good for the carbon footprint, shouldn't it?

Is it a little ironic that the iconic city of the auto industry should return to being farmland? I wonder if it couldl have a psychological effect on those who live there as well.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    While there is dispute about whether this "corporate" farming is a good thing or a bad thing, it may stimulate more of the community gardens that have begun in Detroit as well.

An orchard or a tree farm has to be better than urban blight. Actually, it should be good for the carbon footprint, shouldn't it?

Is it a little ironic that the iconic city of the auto industry should return to being farmland? I wonder if it couldl have a psychological effect on those who live there as well.
    Most folks debating on either side of this issue don't have a clue of the psychological boost this will give many. As I date back to the era of farming with animals I can tell you some of my best times were spent looking at the behind of the horses my grandfather used to farm. Certainly better than dealing with the horse's behinds we have to on a daily basis .

Green communities are safer communities, one of the cities I lived in as a youth had 4 square miles of parks for at the time a city of 40K. The maximizers of ground use usually don't live in the area they want to turn into W2W pavement. & the one crop farmers are not farmers but are growers of a commodity.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Detroit will become a blank slate before long.

I hope it becomes an Island of Misfit Toys, full of pockets of artists and farms and dreamers and handymen and artisans wishing to restore old homes. I hope it fills with utopians and entrepreneurs (to solace and convert the utopians when perfection slips sideways).

I will open my un-school there.

Somebody slap me. I think I'm serious.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post

Obviously, the progressives feel they haven't ruined Detroit enough.
    There is certainly enough "fertilizer" to grow crops!!!!

Detroit is a huge city and much of it unused and underused. I am not entirely convinced, but this could be a viable business model. The manufacturing jobs are not going to return either way so trying new things is a good idea.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

And then there is also the re-cycling of Detroit:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/29...cmp=latestnews

This company de-constructs abandoned buildings and turns the salvaged materials into furniture!

There are some very good people who are doing their best to rescue their city. Remember the people who took their own lawn tractors out last summer to mow the parks? If the politicians and union bosses could adopt this attitude of community, they could have a chance.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.