The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training on bolted rabbits ... one for 1tulip

Default Training on bolted rabbits ... one for 1tulip

1tulip asked me a while ago about training a retriever on rabbits.

In a UK Field Trial ground game is nearly always present so you have to be prepared for it to be flushed (dog stays steady does not put in a chase) and subsequently shot (sit to shot, mark if possible, then retrieve). I thought it might interest you guys to watch this wee movie; not a professional production but the quality is good enough to see what's going on. Some nice work to be seen with "cross line" retrieves; and a very good wee cocker doing the flushing.

This is pretty typical rabbity hill country; broken ground, stone walls, tussocky grass, plus a few whins and drainage ditches. I'd guess it's in North Yorkshire, but there's a zillion acres just like it in Scotland.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 11-29-2013 at 04:53 AM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Nice work by everyone but that Cocker is impressive, thanks for sharing.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Nice work being done there. Don

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

My lab and cocker do the opposite. Molly (lab) finds the birds, the Ninja (cocker) does the retrieving! In fact, if I showed Ninja this video, she would probably be a bit miffed that the cocker shown only got one retrieve, especially when it was doing the majority of the work!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Looks like a great training day. I still cringe when the shot goes off and the dog isn't that far from the rabbit... I'm guess I'd just have to get used to it!

Do you train with the rabbits attached to stretch ropes on trees, Eug? The ones that release as you walk by with the dog at heel?
    -Barton Ramsey

Outstanding! Thanks!

Do you train with the rabbits attached to stretch ropes on trees, Eug? The ones that release as you walk by with the dog at heel?
    Nope, not usually.

Mostly we train for ground game in "rabbit pens"; these are as the name suggests wire enclosures where rabbits run free together with domestic fowl and ducks. You get Fido absolutely tight on the sit whistle beforehand, then go into the pen. Having said that I have a chum who trained his Springer to Trial standard with tethered rabbits on a floodlit soccer pitch.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Am I the only person uncomfortable with shooting when dogs and people are ahead of the shooter? It certainly appears to be a potential safety issue.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Am I the only person uncomfortable with shooting when dogs and people are ahead of the shooter? It certainly appears to be a potential safety issue.
    Ed, I don't see any people ahead of the shooter. They appear to be walking in a line side by side... I think it the shooter's head mounted camera that may be deceiving. As for the dog, I don't know how one would hunt upland game with a flushing dog behind or with the shooter...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    As for the dog, I don't know how one would hunt upland game with a flushing dog behind or with the shooter...
    What a lovely way to explain to someone that doesn't or hasn't shot over a flushing dog
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever