The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What IS formal obedience?

I think more so than a single system of your choosing, finding a group of retriever enthusiasts to train with and ask questions and have drills demonstrated is FAR more important!

"start in loving a dog, and understanding it, bye and bye you'll know how to love all the world!"

That can be very good advice, or very poor advice depending on the group. It's not unusual in any setting that the folks who actually know the least are the most eager and vocal about offering help. They mean well, but if you're a new trainer it's tough to know the difference. Play it smart.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    That can be very good advice, or very poor advice depending on the group. It's not unusual in any setting that the folks who actually know the least are the most eager and vocal about offering help. They mean well, but if you're a new trainer it's tough to know the difference. Play it smart.

Evan
    Not only can the advice be good/bad... it can also consist of suggested methods that work for the individual who is offering them. I would posit that with any method there are operator variables. I teach in a school of nursing and though we all teach to the same standards, no two instructors do things exactly the same way. In fact, the way we reason about our practice is highly variable. And frankly this is not an altogether bad thing. It provides a variety of perspectives to the student and where one instructor fails to get through to a weak student, something will click between that student and another instructor and success happens.

I think I am the proverbial weak student. My experience with my previous dog was that my training group was not helpful. The fault was, however, largely mine. I wasn't consistent and I ran out of time (job change) and turned the dog over to a pro who has done a superb job. But working with this pro you can tell that she has honed her skills over a long time. She reads and diagnoses a dog's behavior almost intuitively and can come up with the proper response to problems as they reveal themselves.

I think if I had persevered and worked more intensely with my dog, things might have been different. With this new puppy... I almost have no choice. She arrives here in the deepest part of winter when no one is training and there are few distractions. It'll be just the two of us.

The other thing I've noticed about weak students is that if they are motivated enough, they usually pull it out. I think this time I'm more realistic and I'm certainly more determined. We'll see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Not only can the advice be good/bad... it can also consist of suggested methods that work for the individual who is offering them. I would posit that with any method there are operator variables. I teach in a school of nursing and though we all teach to the same standards, no two instructors do things exactly the same way. In fact, the way we reason about our practice is highly variable. And frankly this is not an altogether bad thing. It provides a variety of perspectives to the student and where one instructor fails to get through to a weak student, something will click between that student and another instructor and success happens.

I think I am the proverbial weak student. My experience with my previous dog was that my training group was not helpful. The fault was, however, largely mine. I wasn't consistent and I ran out of time (job change) and turned the dog over to a pro who has done a superb job. But working with this pro you can tell that she has honed her skills over a long time. She reads and diagnoses a dog's behavior almost intuitively and can come up with the proper response to problems as they reveal themselves.

I think if I had persevered and worked more intensely with my dog, things might have been different. With this new puppy... I almost have no choice. She arrives here in the deepest part of winter when no one is training and there are few distractions. It'll be just the two of us.

The other thing I've noticed about weak students is that if they are motivated enough, they usually pull it out. I think this time I'm more realistic and I'm certainly more determined. We'll see what happens...
    There will come a time where a group setting is vary valuable to reach your goals. That being said, it will be up to you to keep intouch with your trainer. He or she is most likely willing to help, but If you don't call they will think everything is going fine.

Keith

If you don't ask, then you will never know. A lot of us have been in that situation and when we look back, wish we would of ask that question.

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    that can be very good advice, or very poor advice depending on the group. It's not unusual in any setting that the folks who actually know the least are the most eager and vocal about offering help. They mean well, but if you're a new trainer it's tough to know the difference. Play it smart.

Evan
    gotta agree with you on that!!!

A good training group has been invaluable to me. I only wish I would have found it earlier so that maybe I could have avoided a couple issues. As for who to listen to, you might want to pick the one whose dogs look and act like you want yours to act. Not a guarantee, but perhaps a good place to start.

Evan's comment is too true sometimes. It seems like the folks who know the most also know how dangerous it is to come off the cuff with cure-all remedies for a dog they don't really know.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

A group can be helpful but I don't think it can be a substitute for getting a training program and following it. Then a
    Group member can help you through some difficult issues.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 12-03-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    A group can be helpful but I don't think it can be a substitute for getting a training program and following it. Then a
    Group member can help you through some difficult issues.
    This. Wayne, i need some lessons from you on brevity and being succinct with my posts.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post

Evan
    Evan very true. There are many who want to give out their advice. It is hard for the newcomer to sift through how helpful this will be to them. This is a whole topic on its own!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray