The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunter Harrassment

Thanks for sharing the story and photos Chuck, it gave me a smile for the day. Good looking beasts. Did you ever get to do any hunting?
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"

We did get to hunt, Janet. Our hooligans were really interested when we were coming in and leaving, but mostly left us alone while we sat by the river. They would come over periodically and spin the decoys for 5 or 10 minutes, and then wander away. Actually they may have been pretty good confidence decoys when weren't pushing us around to do something interesting .
    Chuck

Cute!! And hey I made that GRCA magnet
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" HRCH Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com

That horse is as big as your truck!
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

May want to keep a close watch on our equine friends. Had a similar experience up to when we quit for the day and found that the horses we were hunting by got bored with us and decided to eat the paint on my pickup. I had multiple nasty scratches on the hood and door panels that were about 4 inches long and the width of horse teeth. Grrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Cute!! And hey I made that GRCA magnet
    Anney, that is my second set of magnets. I have the big ones on the diesel, too. I like them a lot. Good job!

And Jim, you ain't a kidding - those horses are huge!

We did watch them, wetdog. Couldn't help it, actually, too big to ignore, but also I didn't want them crushing those goose decoys. Turns out they were pretty good, civilized horses, but I know what you are saying. Its surprising what horses will eat, or try to eat, and bored horses are the worst.
    Last edited by dr_dog_guy; 12-02-2013 at 08:33 AM.
    Chuck

I've hunted with horses in the pastor with us, as well. They are quite curious, in your face, and do not take "no," or "get outta here," or "beat it," or anything for an answer. They come over, inspect everything they think is interesting, and then leave when they're good and ready. Funny but slightly annoying...

Have to admit, I was expecting something totally different. Great photos! My two horses generally ignore company, but sometimes interfere with training. They're totally unfazed by gunfire, and one of them will actually pick up bumpers (and buckets, and anything plastic he finds in his field) but, they're not "in your face" like some young horses we boarded here that would come up and practically walk on top of you and/or your truck, chair or come down and paw/splash in the pond if you tried to fish. At least their feet are nowhere near the pie plate size of those fellows!
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

"Got" me too, I had to log in to see the photos. Love your post!!!

Those horses really were very nice, curious, friendly, willing to be pushed away. But oh my goodness there are huge! Put your shoulder against one of them and move him out of the way? Only if he's willing! And they were a pain at times - they wanted to see everything and be sure it wasn't a horse toy.

Three or four years ago we were in the same pasture and there was another group of normal-sized horses, about half of which were very young. We'd brought 4 or 5 dogs to give the youngsters a chance to be around the decoys, run around, then we'd put them up and hunt. But the colts and the young dogs got to playing. Annie was leaning over smelling horse cookies, and a 8 or 9 month old filly put her nose on Annie's butt, and Annie went straight up in the air. They chased each other around for 20 minutes. Dogs and horses, who would have figured?
    Chuck