The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hunt 2 flushing dogs on pheasants?

We hunt up to 5 of ours at a time. Their teamwork is excellent!
    Deb & John Lenon
    www.mamaslabs.com
    Wildwood, MO
    "In God & Labs We Trust"

I just rotate them out one at a time, it makes it easier to keep track of the dog and keeps the dogs rested in between their turns so they are hunting at their peak of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by my2ylws View Post
    We hunt up to 5 of ours at a time. Their teamwork is excellent!
    Hey John Ive Never used 5 at a time, other than when we are finishing up and cleaning up cripples. I have 10 dogs and prefer to work them in pairs, and rotate them out to keep em fresh.
    When you use 5 of your dogs at a timel How big a field and how many hunters?

I used to run 3 without a problem.
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

I've done it. In my opinion, you are better served hunting one fresh dog at a time. One flusher can cover the ground within gun range. You aren't likely to get additional shooting on missed opportunities with a second dog down. This is especially true on a multiday hunt. Hunting all day will really use up even the best dogs.

That being said, if you are on a short morning hunt by all means run them both. It just requires a little more focus on your part.

The most we've ever hunted is in wide ditches with thick cover probably ~ 15-20 yards apart(5-6 dogs?) (2 dogs on each side down in the ditch to push; 1 dog up top to retrieve) wait got to add in the blockers dog. So 7. Hunters ideally 2 on each side, and 2 blockers. You work dogs together they get really good at trapping and pushing up birds, they hardly ever miss birds, which in that type of cover alone they'd walk over, or be unable to put up. Young dogs learn these skills much quicker from seasoned veterans than they could ever pick up on their own or you could ever teach them. It's very beneficial to have your older dog teach a pup, on upland game (Quail, Pheasant and Chukar), just keep control of the pup keep them in gun-range, and let the older dog show them how it's done. Keep an eye on the pup for exhaustion, it takes a bit for them to understand, how to pace themselves; you'll usually be putting the pup up way before the veteran.

Chukar we use several dogs, but we let a pack (3-4) pointers out, then follow up with the labs once they, lock up.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by brian breuer View Post
    I've done it. In my opinion, you are better served hunting one fresh dog at a time. One flusher can cover the ground within gun range. You aren't likely to get additional shooting on missed opportunities with a second dog down. This is especially true on a multiday hunt. Hunting all day will really use up even the best dogs.

That being said, if you are on a short morning hunt by all means run them both. It just requires a little more focus on your part.
    Pretty much how I use my dogs. First drive on a multi day trip I will let them both out, but more to calm them down after a 5 hour drive and to get their "hunting mind right" than anything else. Being out for 5 days it is nice to have fresh dogs all week.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

I think when you hunt two together, the dogs end up chasing runners into each other.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad n Drake View Post
    My Lab is 6 years old now and I'm thinking about getting another pup. I can add another collar on my tritronics but wondering just how difficult it is working two flushing dogs on pheasants. I rarely shock or even blow my whistle on my current lab. Don't have much to worry about with him. I'd feel terrible leaving one at home. Anyone else run two?
    It is actually a lot of fun!

On days that are dry and breezy and the birds are running, two dogs will help immensely.
    I have a few buddies that when we hunt upland we run our dogs together.
    It is a blast!
    (for us and the dogs, the pheasants.....not so much!)
    I think you and your dogs would find it enjoyable.

Best of luck!

stan b
    Last edited by road kill; 12-02-2013 at 02:54 PM.

I'm working two dogs this year for the first time and it is fun. One is learning so she has a long way to go, but is learning from watching her mom as much as me.

I would suggest you start working them while having others shoot so you can focus on the dogs more then the birds. It has been a lot of fun so far and I am looking forward to the rest of this and many seasons to come.

Good luck,

Mark
    Mark, Peyton's Touchdown Pass (JH) and Peyton's Sun-loving Baby Bindi (Troublemaker)