The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: very vocal on cripple retrieves

Default very vocal on cripple retrieves

Ellie (BLF) just turned 1yr old last week. She has started getting really vocal the past 4 or 5 days on retrieves when the bird is cripple. Dead ducks she doesn't really get vocal. On some deep water 50-80 yard retrieves she may get a little vocal. But man she really gets loud on a long cripple retrieve!!! She has retrieve over 160 ducks so far this year. Her drive seems to increase with every hunt. Question is will she out grow this???

Probably not ! I have had 3 Labs all from the same line, that were vocal on takeoff and chasing cripples. All 3 grandfather, father and son, did it for their entire life. It was annoying to some guests, but it got to where we were use to it. All 3 were perfect on dead floating ducks. they were all so good in every other aspect that I just accepted this was their quirk! JB

What side of her pedigree is it from? 3 dogs in a row all doing it their whole lives... not what i expected to hear!! Was hoping several guys would say oh yea she should grow right out of that!! lol

I have a BLF that will be 10 in Feb. that will whine and bark a couple of times while chasing a cripple. Doesn't really bother me. She has done it since her first hunt. Rarely makes a noise other than that.

Hank (by Pirate) was kinda like that but out grew it.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

It sounded like a had her collar on the 5th setting and was killing her with it. It was a big ole mallards about 30yards out ahead of her flapping his wings across the water, the first time it happened. Then again, with a grey duck swimming away from her 30 or 40 yards in front of her. The last few hunts of the week were alot slower than earlier in the week, and it seemed to get worse. I'm still proud of her, She hasn't let anything get away from her yet!!

my boykin barks on every cripple. Not loud and obnoxious but he's gonna bark several times till he catches it. One day this week hunting with a buddy, he shot a mallard that fell back deep in some tall buck brush. The dog got out towards it out of sight and barked a couple times. I said, "your duck is trying to swim away". He said, "No i hit it good, it folded up." when my dog got back the duck was still VERY much alive.

I took my 12 year old 'Peake hunting for perhaps his last time this past weekend. He got frustrated with a cripple, and began to bark at it as he chased it around.
    Never done That before, (we've said this a LOT about this dog!!) & we almost fell out of the blind laughing...

German VDD testing with my DD's it's good that they sound off. It's is felt it's a sign of positive prey drive. Both my DD's will go loud on a sight chase. My male will bark on scent track. It works on my behalf cause I can keep track of them and I know what's going on. If they are quiet, no bird yet. If they get loud I know the bird is just about in the bag. Don

I"d take a dog that barked only on water cripples over a dog that wont go in cold water for a bird any day.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "