The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How far can they swim?

I have been to enough hunt test to see and hear the whining about a long blind all the time. Yes they do whine. I hear it...The rule are 125yds that's too long" Never, ever heard a whine from the field trial folks, ever. I also heard if training with hunt test guys. I'll put a blind 300 yds out and the whining starts, "this isn't a field trial why's the blind out there?"

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

Quote Originally Posted by Loran Marmes (JR) View Post
    could the whine have been from him seeing the cripple moving and his body not moving as fast as his mind wanted it to? ive seen where dogs want the bird so bad that they put out a lil whine because they want that bird so bad and being a cripple n moving or even swimming away increases that. I feel you train big so your dog is ready to encounter any situation. We had a guy that was in hunt group never did marks over 40 yds, well that dog checked down all day at 40 yards no matter the distance.
    I think that could play something in it. This morning, he didnt whine at all on the cripples but he did let out a bark once at the cripple as it started to move.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    I have been to enough hunt test to see and hear the whining about a long blind all the time. Yes they do whine. I hear it...The rule are 125yds that's too long" Never, ever heard a whine from the field trial folks, ever. I also heard if training with hunt test guys. I'll put a blind 300 yds out and the whining starts, "this isn't a field trial why's the blind out there?"
    BW, Corey is seeking feedback about real hunting.

The only "whining" he's concerned with is that which his dog did when chasing the bird.

Corey's post had nothing to do with hunt test or field trial. It is about real hunting.

Corey, have fun. I promise you that for only your third hunt with your dog, he's having more success and action than lots of retrievers have when they get going!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    BW, Corey is seeking feedback about real hunting.

The only "whining" he's concerned with is that which his dog did when chasing the bird.

Corey's post had nothing to do with hunt test or field trial. It is about real hunting.

Corey, have fun. I promise you that for only your third hunt with your dog, he's having more success and action than lots of retrievers have when they get going!

Chris
    Thanks Chris! Thats exactly what im referring to. I guess i should have specifed that each scenario im referring to is while we are hunting.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! and Chris, Thanks again for the positive encouragment! After I saw how well he did on the retrieves, it made all the hard work in the last year is starting to pay off. Thanks Again~
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--