The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Focus

Default Focus

Can anyone offer some drills to teach my dog to focus on marks. I train solo 99% of the time so im the one throwing the marks.

Do you use birds..? Are you doing stand alone type marks or using wingers..? Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here... I keep talking about Bill Hillman's methods. I have recently viewed his retriever fundamentals. The fascinating thing about what he is doing is that most of it is just him and the dog and a couple of bumpers. It's truly remarkable and you can't argue with his success with high point derby dogs. Since the derby is all about marking, I guess he knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by AriseKillEat View Post
    Can anyone offer some drills to teach my dog to focus on marks. I train solo 99% of the time so im the one throwing the marks.
    1. are you throwing everything from the line or are you walking out and throwing marks at a reasonable distance

2. when you say "focus" is the dog not watching the first throw ? or the second ? or even a third ?

3. the term "focus" or lack thereof may be ambiguous and can cover anything from head swinging to locking in to one bird only..

4. are you giving the dog ample time before the throw to "lock into" the gunner (you)...conversely are you rushing the second throw and not giving the dog time to adjust

Need more info before offering any worthwhile suggestions
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Kids in the area are a great resource, if you show them how.

A lot more information on how you train and what the dog is doing at the line is needed to help answer your question.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

When I train alone I walk out and throw the marks. I use birds or dokkens. I make sure he is watching before i throw. I give a "hey hey" or blow a duck call to grab his attention and say pay attention. He is not to move until given the signal for him to go. JMO How old is your dog?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray