The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Training Programmes? ...idle curiousity!

Quote Originally Posted by kennel maiden View Post
    Wow Renee, you really are the dog guru. I bow down to your superior knowledge - just your diplomacy is a little lacking!
    LOL LOL

I will say, of all the convos on this blasted subject, this has been one of my favs!
    -Barton Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Renee, it's true my dog does know that when I say "no" it means I want her to stop doing what she's doing. I've even said it pretty sternly at times when I catch her eating cat poop in the woods. But I've never hit her or paired the word "No" with any physical aversive, chase down or other such threat. There are other dogs at my kennel business who hear my stern "No" and could care less. Some dogs are more sensitive and responsive than others. Some are born to lead and others to follow. My current prospect (Flyer) is super sensitive and responsive. My older washout show golden (Buck) acts deaf if I want to redirect his behavior. Not very sensitive or responsive. I'm not a good enough trainer to make much out of Buck, but I think Flyer is going to help me quite a bit!
    My older dog could care a less what I said to him or in what tone I said it to him. The difference between he and my 4 yo is like night and day. The 4yo is very responsive to the tone of my voice. Like you say some dogs are more sensitive and responsive than others. Having dogs is fun! Reading them is even more fun!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Renee, it's true my dog does know that when I say "no" it means I want her to stop doing what she's doing. I've even said it pretty sternly at times when I catch her eating cat poop in the woods. But I've never hit her or paired the word "No" with any physical aversive, chase down or other such threat. There are other dogs at my kennel business who hear my stern "No" and could care less. Some dogs are more sensitive and responsive than others. Some are born to lead and others to follow. My current prospect (Flyer) is super sensitive and responsive. My older washout show golden (Buck) acts deaf if I want to redirect his behavior. Not very sensitive or responsive. I'm not a good enough trainer to make much out of Buck, but I think Flyer is going to help me quite a bit!
    I am not challenging your training methods. I am challenging your assertion that your dog "instinctively" knows what the English language means, what tone of voice means, or what your body language means. Dogs are not born knowing these things.
    Renee P

Then why could I scream at my one beagle till Im blue in the face and she just keeps wagging and being silly but all I have to say to my other beagle is "Daizy what is this?" in a normal soft tone and she pees all over the floor and looks guilty. Both beagles were trained the same way, with the same commands and phrases used.

What causes this difference? Because beagle number 1 has proved a challenged to house break (and train in general) dispute the fact she is FC x FC for like 4 or 5 generations bred. The other beagle is a granddaughter of a SPOFC but otherwise an amish bred meat dawg.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I am not challenging your training methods. I am challenging your assertion that your dog "instinctively" knows what the English language means, what tone of voice means, or what your body language means. Dogs are not born knowing these things.
    Sorry Renee, I'm not the best communicator. I knew you weren't challenging the methods and it wasn't my intention to assert that dogs instinctively know the English language. Just that some dogs are very responsive to interruptive sounds and words, which make it very easy to communicate to them what is incorrect and what is correct - even at a distance.

Jen

Sorry Renee, I'm not the best communicator. I knew you weren't challenging the methods and it wasn't my intention to assert that dogs instinctively know the English language. Just that some dogs are very responsive to interruptive sounds and words, which make it very easy to communicate to them what is incorrect and what is correct - even at a distance.

Jen
    And I knew that you knew that dogs are not born understanding the English language but I threw that in to make my point...

I did think you were asserting that your dog was born knowing what your raised voice or body language meant. I'm glad we got that cleared up!

If we are ever in the same neck of the woods, I would love to see how you are progressing your dog without the ecollar etc. It looks really hard, to me. I had watched GDGNY's vid of his dog doing a blind, and I was really impressed with the snappy sit he got using methods like you use.
    Renee P

KM This should keep you busy for a while..........
    Here are links to pdf files you'll find interesting & useful. These were written about 10 years ago by a very good student of the US Field Trial "game", John Cavanaugh.
    The folks at WeeBeGoldens.com have been kind enough to keep these files on their website.
    I suggest you save them for future reference.
    Keep in mind that the "Manuals" have typo/format errors and were not meant for publication as gospel but were written as "outlines" for group discussion and training seminars. So.... many nitty gritty "details" and "answers" need to be found elsewhere.
    make of them as you will.
    Cheers......

Dogs Hard Wired (show training flow with and without e-collar) may speak to the topic of this discussion.
    The first page is flow with Handling only (no e-collar but lead and maybe crop) second page shows how e-collar comes into play in same flow progression)
    http://www.weebegoldens.com/DogsHardWiring.pdf

John's Mega Master Manual
    link to the MS Word file of this manual is first item on this Google search page. https://www.google.com/search?q=weeb...master+manual+

John's Judging Manual
    http://www.weebegoldens.com/JudgesMa...sion%205.0.pdf

John's Master Seminar Manual Ver1
    http://www.weebegoldens.com/John%20C...%20Ver%201.PDF

Agenda for John's Training Seminar 2000
    http://www.weebegoldens.com/2000_jc.pdf
    Last edited by Breck; 12-05-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Breck, thanks for those. They are useful to everyone.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Breck, thanks for those. They are useful to everyone.
    Ditto Thanks for sharing!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

No worries...
    I always wished John could have formalized what he started, but not to be. Good stuff in those writings none the less.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie