The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with dog blind..

Default Need help with dog blind..

Hi,
    I hunt geese with my 8 yo BLF. I use a layout blind and have trained her to lay in there with me. But being that she is too close to the muzzle blast, I wanted to put her in a blind behind me for her ear safety & general safety as well. I purchased the "Rig em Right" blind which is like a triangle. But she will not go in it. I also just purchased the Avery finisher blind which is slightly larger. But still same result. I don't want to give her a negative feeling towards it. She is around 75-80lbs. So I thought the Rig 'em Right was too small. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymo View Post
    Hi,
    I hunt geese with my 8 yo BLF. I use a layout blind and have trained her to lay in there with me. But being that she is too close to the muzzle blast, I wanted to put her in a blind behind me for her ear safety & general safety as well. I purchased the "Rig em Right" blind which is like a triangle. But she will not go in it. I also just purchased the Avery finisher blind which is slightly larger. But still same result. I don't want to give her a negative feeling towards it. She is around 75-80lbs. So I thought the Rig 'em Right was too small. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Do the same thing you would when iintroducing an indoor crate. Toss a biscuit in and say kennel. Once she is comfortable in it you will be fine.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

spend .90 cents on a can of gravy.
    set up new blind on your lawn.
    open can and pour into back of blind.
    release the hounds!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    ....... Toss a biscuit in and say kennel. Once she is comfortable in it you will be fine.

see mine will woof down a biscuit in a half second.
    a can of gravy may take almost a minute to lap up.
    gives more time for um to take a liking to the new hut.
    and is a great for fresh breath
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I hunt geese with my 8 yo BLF.
    At that age you may need a more gradual appoach. Buy three large cardboard boxes. Cut one in half (top open) and remove an end. Feed her in it for few days......using the "kennel up" command. Next, graduate to one with the high sides (no top) and an open end. Feed her in this and slide a top on (when she is in and eating....eventually). Move to the full box with an entrance and then phase in your largest hide.

She wiil learn because of hunger....no pressure (from you) with very little talking.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

It may also help with the Finisher just to try it with both ends open at first. It's the dark hole that screws them up sometimes. Their crate generally has light coming into it where the blind doesn't (unless you open it up). I like the Finisher blind over the triangle type. The more like a crate it is, the easier it seems to work.
    Darrin Greene

My dog uses the crate command for layout blind... try that with leash until she thinks its the same and then i changed it to crate/blind command and now blind. He will go in with both now...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post

spend .90 cents on a can of gravy.
    set up new blind on your lawn.
    open can and pour into back of blind.
    release the hounds!
    That's funny right there! I don't care who you are!! Okay, so maybe I've got too simple of a mind!

Realistically though,... never tried it but I think it should work well!

BHB
    Ahhhh, the smell of a bay dog... nothin finer!

One who lives this life without plans for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American
    Indian." Henry Ford

I didn't realize the Avery finisher had an opening in the back. Mine is about five years old. Maybe new ones do
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I didn't realize the Avery finisher had an opening in the back. Mine is about five years old. Maybe new ones do

It it does not. The Rig em Right has an opening in the back..