The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bayer vs Scalibor flea and tick collars

Default Bayer vs Scalibor flea and tick collars

I did some searching on here on the two but wanted to ask opinions of those who use these F&T collars for your dogs. Are they working for your dog? Any one better? I see the Scalibor is water resistance. Any problems?

Thank you for your input

E
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

I tried to use it last Nov. 17th in conjunction with Trifexis. Long story short, my dog got sick 6 hours after giving him the Trifexis, then every other day like clockwork for the next few days(obviously took him to the vet after he got sick for the third/fourth time). I got something from the vet to settle his stomach and was advised to take the collar off and give that a try. Since taking the collar off, he hasn't been sick once. I know the warnings of Trifexis to only give on a full stomach(which I did) so him getting sick afterwards and also giving it right after he ate, kind of had me concerned. Whether it was the collar making him sick, no idea, all I know is whatever we changed, worked. My vet also told me that if he had gotten sick once maybe twice it was very possible it was the Trifexis doing it, but she said she was hardpressed to believe it was the Trifexis making him sick that much/that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
    I did some searching on here on the two but wanted to ask opinions of those who use these F&T collars for your dogs. Are they working for your dog? Any one better? I see the Scalibor is water resistance. Any problems?

Thank you for your input

E

I use the scalibor collars on my dogs and have no problems with the collars. I have not found any fleas or ticks on the dogs
    Very convenient to not have to remove the collars for water work.
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    FTCH AFTCH Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks*** - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

I agree with Andy
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Good to hear. Thanks for the input
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

I bought 3 seresto collars a couple months ago and they seem to work. The only problem is the other day I came home to the pup in the crate, collarless. He had managed to get it off somehow and had torn it to pieces! Thank God he hadn't ingested any of it as I am sure it could have killed him since I was at work for 10 hours when it happened. I guess I will do the collars for the big dogs and front line for him. I'm too nervous to buy him another one.
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    The rookie- Jamstar's Hot Tubb "Cuzzi"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

I have a friend who has been using the Scalibor collar on her Labs, but she always removes it when they swim and puts it back on afterwards. She said she read that the chemicals in the collar can be harmful to fish in ponds. I looked at the Scalibor site and saw nothing mentioning that. Has anyone heard anything about the collar harming fish?

Yes, the active ingredient in the Scalibor collar can be harmful to fish, but I doubt it would make an impact in a pond or similar sized body of water. It states this on the packet insert.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Thanks for the input. Very interesting about the fish. I will buy them for spring.

Ticks, and the Lyme disease they carry, have become a great concern in our area. Many of the topical meds don't give adequate tick coverage. I switched from using Frontline and Heartgaurd to Revolution and Scalibor. Love that one product(Revolution) does fleas and heartworm. One less med to give(or forget) and the Scalibor is the best tick control I have ever seen. Used a previous collar that could not get wet, it was next to useless. Scalibor was left on all summer during lots of water training with no decrease in effectiveness. My lab is sometimes reactive to meds, no problems with this routine at all. I highly recommend both Revolution and Scalibor. She was extremely ill at a young age with an unidentified tick borne disease. All initial tests negative for tick disease, but symptoms(including protein spilling) were so overwhelming that she was immediately started on Doxycycline and almost instantly began to improve. Never wanting a repeat of that, keeping her tick free has been priority.