The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Shot???

Default Steel Shot???

I recieved my monthly newsletter from my hunt club today.
    Evidently, as required by law, a test has been performed to measure "LEAD CONTENT" of the soil.
    We failed.

This club has been open for well over 50 years.
    Originally started by a gentleman named Ray Sommers.

We have been informed that we will transition to ALL non-toxic shot next season.
    NO lead shot will be allowed.
    It was suggested in the newsletter that this is happening across the country.

Have any of you heard of this yet?

stan b
    Last edited by road kill; 12-04-2013 at 09:17 AM.

No, but it sounds like another EPA boondoggle. What, are they worried a California Condor is going to fly toWI and eat a mouse with some small amount of lead in its system?

Just another attempt to harass shooter and firearm owners.
    Bill Davis

Yes,
    "They" tried it here at a range in Jerrico, VT. But the range is also used by the Vermont National Guard so it did not go very far. It was a ground water test here.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Would be interesting to see what this law says. Never heard of such a thing and only time I have heard of a large piece of land getting tested for lead was to appease the terms of sale for a real estate transaction. A law of this type could have major implications on land use and land values. Once a site is contaminated, I don't think the lead levels would go down by not using lead shot anymore. Switching to lead shot now seems futile.
    Erik B.

always wonder why they arent trying to eliminate the lead fishing weights we all use and leave behind when we get snagged on the bottom or some hidden log...guessing the fishing lead isnt as hazardous (huge sarcasm eye roll)
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverNation View Post
    Would be interesting to see what this law says. Never heard of such a thing and only time I have heard of a large piece of land getting tested for lead was to appease the terms of sale for a real estate transaction. A law of this type could have major implications on land use and land values. Once a site is contaminated, I don't think the lead levels would go down by not using lead shot anymore. Switching to lead shot now seems futile.
    There was a transaction (re-fi) involved.
    I will try to cut and paste from the PDF, but last time I did thatI messed up!
    Last edited by road kill; 12-04-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    always wonder why they arent trying to eliminate the lead fishing weights we all use and leave behind when we get snagged on the bottom or some hidden log...guessing the fishing lead isnt as hazardous (huge sarcasm eye roll)
    Bon, that has been discussed for about the last decade here. If you are interested in lead free sinkers here you go:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bulle...ent/744119.uts

Effective May 1, 2011, Washington prohibits the use of lead weights and jigs on 12 lakes in the state where loons breed and raise their young. Anglers cannot use lead weights smaller than 1.5 inches.
    New Hampshire has banned the use and sale of lead fishing sinkers that weigh less than an ounce and lead jigs smaller than an inch.
    Maine and New York have banned the sale of lead sinkers weighing a half-ounce or less.
    In 2004, the Vermont Legislature passed a bill banning the sale (January 2006) of lead sinkers weighing 1/2 ounce or less, and then the use (January 2007) of those lead sinkers in the state.
    In June 2000, the Massachusetts Fisheries & Wildlife Board voted to prohibit the use of all lead sinkers for the taking of fish in Quabbin and Wachusett Reservoirs, the two bodies of water that support the core of that state's loon population.
    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has banned lead sinkers in two national wildlife refuges and Yellowstone National Park; restrictions have been discussed on the use of lead sinkers and jigs at other national wildlife refuges where loons and trumpeter swans breed.
    Last edited by mngundog; 12-04-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Actuallly they have, at least in MN. Been that way for over 20 years and no issues from fishermen.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I recieved my monthly newsletter from my hunt club today.
    Evidently, as required by law, a test has been performed to measure "LEAD CONTENT" of the soil.
    We failed.

This club has been open for well over 50 years.
    Originally started by a gentleman named Ray Sommers.

We have been informed that we will transition to ALL non-toxic shot next season.
    NO lead shot will be allowed.
    It was suggested in the newsletter that this is happening across the country.

Have any of you heard of this yet?

stan b
    Yes, in several parts of the country. We have a very large range in Blaine, Metro, that every few years scrapes and sifts the range area for spent shot. Might be why they keep trucking.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Actuallly they have, at least in MN. Been that way for over 20 years and no issues from liberal fishermen.
    Fixed it for you
    Bill Davis