The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Shot???

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Fixed it for you
    It has been brought up, but it would never get passed, it would be the end of a politicians career in out-state MN.
    Last edited by mngundog; 12-04-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Do you perhaps have a trap range at this club? The shot fall from trap falls in a somewhat contained area and can be reclaimed and will bring down the lead level in the soil. Also lead reclaimination can be a cash windfall. I have heard of several clubs that have made 10s of thousands this way. I know this as I serve on the board of directors for a small gunclub probably 80 or so miles west of you

Quote Originally Posted by TDMITCH View Post
    Do you perhaps have a trap range at this club? The shot fall from trap falls in a somewhat contained area and can be reclaimed and will bring down the lead level in the soil. Also lead reclaimination can be a cash windfall. I have heard of several clubs that have made 10s of thousands this way. I know this as I serve on the board of directors for a small gunclub probably 80 or so miles west of you
    Yes, there is a trap range, 5 stand, a flurry stand and clays as well as a lot of birds getting shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Bon, that has been discussed for about the last decade here. If you are interested in lead free sinkers here you go:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bulle...ent/744119.uts
    Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Actuallly they have, at least in MN. Been that way for over 20 years and no issues from fishermen.

I'll be darned, I would have thought my former home state of Calif would have been leading the way there...Learn something new every day

I havent fished Yellowstone in 20 years so not surprised there, I remember it being no treble hooks, and barbless doubles or we crimped the barb down and clipped the third hook on the trout spoons and spinners
    Last edited by BonMallari; 12-04-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I'll be darned, I would have thought my former home state of Calif would have been leading the way there...

when Vermont did it a few years back only the ice fishermen bitched. but now they all love and use the stainless scooters / dodgers over the hand poured lead ones of our yout. I myself do not ice fish any longer as I can drink at home.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken, is that a savage model 99 that you're holding in your avatar? Always wanted one of those in 25/3000.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I recieved my monthly newsletter from my hunt club today.
    Evidently, as required by law, a test has been performed to measure "LEAD CONTENT" of the soil.
    We failed.

This club has been open for well over 50 years.
    Originally started by a gentleman named Ray Sommers.

We have been informed that we will transition to ALL non-toxic shot next season.
    NO lead shot will be allowed.
    It was suggested in the newsletter that this is happening across the country.

Have any of you heard of this yet?

stan b
    Stan a Club by me got hit hard back in the early 2000. They have to shoot Steel or non toxic shot only on there skeet, trap, and 5 stand range. Not only did they have to clean up the soil at the range, but 4.5 acres of soil in the wetlands behind the range.

Here are few articles on it.
    Greg Seddon
    CFC HRCH Gunner, Flight Interceptor SH
    Gates Smoky Mountain Treasure QAA

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Ken, is that a savage model 99 that you're holding in your avatar? Always wanted one of those in 25/3000.-Paul
    yes a 99-F in .308
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Actuallly they have, at least in MN. Been that way for over 20 years and no issues from fishermen.
    i bet there would be complaints if they had to cut their lines every time they got a bite. can't re-use a shotgun shell.

Quote Originally Posted by aandw View Post
    i bet there would be complaints if they had to cut their lines every time they got a bite. can't re-use a shotgun shell.
    ?????????????????????????????????????????
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!