The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Shot???

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Henry, the stuff Charlie made and sold was pretty darn effective!! Before he passed he had perfected a 1700fps load that was devistating. Can't believe it has been a year already, boy do I miss that guy.
    Charlie Wright was a prince of a man!!
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

I would like to know how many birds are mortaly wounded and not recovered because of steel shot. The saying goes with lead there dead.

Nicely said. I was talking to a biologist when this whole steel shot fiasco started. I was complaining about the ineffectiveness of the steel shot and how many cripples we had and how many birds were lost, even with a good dog. He asked me if I had ever seen a bird die from lead poisoning. I told him I sure had, every duck or goose I ever shot, died from a dose of lead poisoning from the end of my shotgun. Usually they got lead in their belly. he just walked away.

Never bird hunted with lead, I imagine that it had a bit more range and put more pellets in the pattern. Lead or steel, good shooting is good shooting and bad is still bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post
    Never bird hunted with lead, I imagine that it had a bit more range and put more pellets in the pattern. Lead or steel, good shooting is good shooting and bad is still bad.
    I can tell you this. The amount of birds that hit the water dead as opposed to needing to be water swatted with lead as opposed to steel is night and day difference. I am a pretty good shot, former AAA class trapshooter and a 27 yard line handicapper. We get the birds in close when we call the shot, usually less than 20 yards, and still have to water swat a lot of ducks and geese. At the ranges we shoot, if we shot lead, those birds would be stone dead and belly up.

Good shooting is good shooting but when you know he should of dumped and he flys off is ineffective shot. I stand by my comment.

back in the days of lead,we could take full sized mallards with #6's and nothing bigger than 2 3/4 sz loads, for early season teal we would shoot #7.5 and just fold them...very very few cripples with lead
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    back in the days of lead,we could take full sized mallards with #6's and nothing bigger than 2 3/4 sz loads, for early season teal we would shoot #7.5 and just fold them...very very few cripples with lead
    Back in the days (during WW II) when we hunted for food - we waited until they bunched up - best I ever did was 15 on 2 shells .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

facts:

1. from nine until 27 years old i rarely missed big ducks with 2 3/4" nitro mag #6. model 50 winchester with all three barrels 26 imp cyl, 28 mod, 30 full.

2. from 27 until 32 years old i either forgot how to shoot or was forced to use ammo that was as effective as hand thrown gravel. sick lids thinks i forgot how to shoot. 870 mag 3" tried all mfgs ammo and all chokes. ithaca mag 10 tried all mfgs ammo and all chokes, the ten was much better than the twelve.

3. ~33 until today steel ammo either got better or i finally remembered how to shoot, now i shoot 12 guage 2 3/4" #4 and 3" #3 winchester expert open water and 20 guage 2 3/4 #4 drylock in the timber. wingmaster only.

while todays "promotional steel" kills ducks at all ranges, not one person will ever forget the trash they were forced to use from 1,988 to about 1,995. the first few years NO ONE, no matter their skill killed birds effectively. it soured many people's opinion of steel forever. if you were not there you do not know. it is not just a bunch of geezers belly aching for the "good ol' days".

though today's steel is fine i would rather shoot nitro mag 2 3/4" #6, than xpert 3" #3.
    john mccallie

I had a pet load that I reloaded myself. 2 3/4 in 1.5 oz 5 shot. never had to switch shells from duck loads to goose loads. worked equally well on both. shooting shot sizes larger than 4 was unheard of in my circles. Nowadays, 2 shot and BB is the most common shot size for waterfowl. Steel loads have made vast improvement, but will never compare to lead waterfowl loads as far as knockdown power and stone dead birds on the water. I have shot both, and as Roseberry said it's not a bunch of geezers pining for the "good 'ol days" . Facts are facts and lead was a much more efficient load.