The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Shot???

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post
    Never bird hunted with lead, I imagine that it had a bit more range and put more pellets in the pattern. Lead or steel, good shooting is good shooting and bad is still bad.
    There is part of the problem with the marketing. All the claims of long range capabilities, leads the average hunter think they can make the consistent 60 yard shot. In the right hands, those shots can be accomplished. I don't like shooting past 30 yards now, nor when we could shoot lead. A shotgun has a maximum effective range, and that is 30 to 35 yards for your everyday average hunter. Longer shots are marginal, and just makes the risk of crippling birds more pronounced. I'd rather let my dog have simple retrieves on dead birds and be next to me in the blind, instead of chasing down cripples and possibly spooking birds that could be worked into shooting range if the dog was in the blind waiting for another simple retrieve. I enjoy watching good dog work as much as the next guy/gal, but would still prefer the difficult stuff done in a training scenario, so I know the dog can perform that task if required. better to underwhelm the dog, than overwhelm the dog. I read that last statement by Evan Graham somewhere.

What is steel shot??
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    What is steel shot??
    A drinking game in Pittsburgh.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Never bird hunted with lead, I imagine that it had a bit more range and put more pellets in the pattern. Lead or steel, good shooting is good shooting and bad is still bad.
    If you are implying that there isn't a SIGNIFICANT difference between lead and steel shots penetration and kill power, then I'd have to ask if you have hunted both

The difference in steel and lead is very significant. Some of the specialty loads on the market today have "lead' like properties but straight steel shot doesn't compare to lead for duck and goose hunting. IMO.

I can remember driving by the Lincoln Park Gun Club and always wanting to shoot there, I never did. It eventually lost its lease from the Chicago Park District and was under threat of a lawsuit. It is interesting that EPA tests found no threat from the estimated 400 tons of lead shot and clay targets on the Lake Michigan bottom.

http://ephemera.typepad.com/ephemera...-a-centur.html

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    If you are implying that there isn't a SIGNIFICANT difference between lead and steel shots penetration and kill power, then I'd have to ask if you have hunted both
    I'm not going to call you an idiot but didn't you read what you quoted, particularly the first five words? I also failed to see just where I implied that there was not a SIGNIFICANT difference between the two. Can you please tell me how much better it is to miss with lead vs steel. Either will fold a bird 90%+ with a good shot. The range that you and I think are ethical shots might be Significantly different. I never find shot in the ducks I kill. I rarely find it in our giant Canada geese either, I take pride in being able to have both land in my lap, not in how far out I can kill one.

And if you still haven't figured it out yet I have never shot a bird with lead. Not to mention if you read the middle the way I intended it to be read you would have noticed that I gave two examples of how lead was better than steel.

Very interesting commentary. The late Charlie Wright worked on developing effective steel loads for over 20 years. Untill recently, his loads were the fastest and IMO the most effective on the market and very affordable. He never built over a 3" load and many of his most effective were 2 3/4. He worked on a combination of components to achive his product.

Duck and Goose loads were equally deadly. In his work he found 2 things had to be constent: the speed of the load,( his last formula was a 1700 fps goose load) and the choke.

90% of hunters use to tight a choke when shooting steel and much of the older product was too slow. When he would be in Canada shooting geese, he would school hunters and ween them off 3 1/2" and into his 3".

Find a high speed shell and open your choke and the results will follow. I have 3 boxes of his Unique T-BB goose combo and will miss that load when they are gone.

Butt,Body,Brain,Bang Regards
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

I'm not going to call you an idiot but didn't you read what you quoted, particularly the first five words? I also failed to see just where I implied that there was not a SIGNIFICANT difference between the two. Can you please tell me how much better it is to miss with lead vs steel. Either will fold a bird 90%+ with a good shot. The range that you and I think are ethical shots might be Significantly different. I never find shot in the ducks I kill. I rarely find it in our giant Canada geese either, I take pride in being able to have both land in my lap, not in how far out I can kill one.

And if you still haven't figured it out yet I have never shot a bird with lead. Not to mention if you read the middle the way I intended it to be read you would have noticed that I gave two examples of how lead was better than steel.
    Hey Sick don't get your panties all up in a bundle. If you want to parse words, I'll play

Yes, I did read your post. Specifically you asked me to focus on your first 5 words. I did read those 5 words, did you? I notice a problem with your first 5 words, to wit: "Never bird hunted with lead" Do you see a problem with those 5 words? I do, they are missing an important word or words. They don't have a subject That is an incomplete jumble of words that leaves on wondering WHO it was that never hunted birds with lead. Was it Tom, Dick or Harry? Could it have been someone named Stan, Barrack or Mary?

Now since you like to focus on first words, I'll ask you to focus on my first word: the word "IF". I used that word because you failed to form a complete phrase. Do you now Understand?

You then claim that you did indicate there was a SIGNIFICANT difference between lead and steel. What words did you use to express that SIGNIFICANCE? Surely it wasn't your use of words such as "I IMAGINE" or "a BIT more range" to indicate SIGNIFICANCE So what words did you use to show SIGNIFICANCE?

Additionally, you now have indicated that you are the one who has never shot birds with lead. Then what makes you qualified to comment on their relative killing, patterning and penetration capabilities?

I also believe that those who ACTUALLY HAVE SHOT BIRDS with both lead and steel would disagree with you when you state; "Either will fold a bird 90%+ with a good shot" Take a poll, and educate yourself

I'm thrilled that you didn't OVERTLY call me an Idiot. I can't tell you how warm and fuzzy that makes me feel. Besides, I'm sure your buddy Stan will be proud of you, and admire your Passive/Aggressive style.

Your serve

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Very interesting commentary. The late Charlie Wright worked on developing effective steel loads for over 20 years. Untill recently, his loads were the fastest and IMO the most effective on the market and very affordable. He never built over a 3" load and many of his most effective were 2 3/4. He worked on a combination of components to achive his product.

Duck and Goose loads were equally deadly. In his work he found 2 things had to be constent: the speed of the load,( his last formula was a 1700 fps goose load) and the choke.

90% of hunters use to tight a choke when shooting steel and much of the older product was too slow. When he would be in Canada shooting geese, he would school hunters and ween them off 3 1/2" and into his 3".

Find a high speed shell and open your choke and the results will follow. I have 3 boxes of his Unique T-BB goose combo and will miss that load when they are gone.

Butt,Body,Brain,Bang Regards
    Would Charlie provide the pressure testing results of those 1700 fps loads?

velocity is RARELY the only answer,

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"