The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Steel Shot???

  1. #21
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    ?????????????????????????????????????????

    I think he was trying to say that lead free sinkers aren't as big a deal as lead free shotgun shells...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  2. #22
    Senior Member sick lids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    mukwonago, wi
    Posts
    385

    Default

    If we were to follow the money on this issue where would we end up?

  3. #23
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I think he was trying to say that lead free sinkers aren't as big a deal as lead free shotgun shells...
    I just ordered an Old Salt Cast Net because they have lead weights and sink much faster than ones with steel weights. The faster the net sinks, the more shrimp one catches I agree though, lead weights aren't as big a deal as lead shot.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

  4. #24
    Senior Member MooseGooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    7,293

    Default

    My opinion is we will eventually see an en end to traditional ammunition..

    All to many of us are clueless to the real reasons for these "try's" at banning lead, EPA regulations, ect ect.

    all to many of us have bought into the propoganda that we re doing the right thing for "Mother Earth" even though the evidence isnt there..

    I wonder after it has been banned,, how many of us will sit back and think we should have fought harder..

    3.00 a shell shotgun ammo,, is now a reality.. Do you like it?

    Are you happy with steel shot? would your CHOICE be lead if you could make a CHOICE???

    What non tox CHOICE do you have for your Defensive carry weapon ? (Pistol) Would you trust your life to its performance?

    I like this guys article... It shows the agenda, and how long its been going on..

    http://davekopel.org/2a/mags/plan-to...-lead-out.html
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 12-05-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)


    My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

  5. #25
    Senior Member zeus3925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Twin Cities Metro, MN
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    My opinion is we will eventually see an en end to traditional ammunition..

    All to many of us are clueless to the real reasons for these "try's" at banning lead, EPA regulations, ect ect.

    all to many of us have bought into the propoganda that we re doing the right thing for "Mother Earth" even though the evidence isnt there..

    I wonder after it has been banned,, how many of us will sit back and think we should have fought harder..

    3.00 a shell shotgun ammo,, is now a reality.. Do you like it?

    Are you happy with steel shot? would your CHOICE be lead if you could make a CHOICE???

    What non tox CHOICE do you have for your Defensive carry weapon ? (Pistol) Would you trust your life to its performance?

    I like this guys article... It shows the agenda, and how long its been going on..

    http://davekopel.org/2a/mags/plan-to...-lead-out.html
    Personally I prefer spent uranium.
    Zeus

    I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, MN
    Posts
    1,445

    Default

    Just to add a little science to the discussion on lead tackle, the only estimate of lead loss I am aware of was done for Mille Lacs lake. An study summary is available at http://www.minnesotawaters.org/group...fishing-tackle
    9 tons of lead deposition over 20 years is not a trivial amount of deposition of a toxic substance...just do a search on the health effects of lead or better yet "lead and the roman empire".

    For those still b^chn' about steel shot for hunting, let's not forget that 1.6 to 2.4 millions birds were being killed by lead poisoning annually http://www.ducks.org/conservation/wa...diseases/page2

    If you want to load your own highly effective steel shot I strongly recommend the "lightning steel" recipes at precision reloading http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm...Category_Code=

  7. #27
    Senior Member roseberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,044

    Default

    with a couple of small tools and a fire i can turn franco's cast net into enough ammo for a waco/ruby ridge preventative.(mel gibson in the partiot) if my cast net has steel weights i can only shoot my wrist rocket at my oppressors/attackers.

    steel is for the minions. lead is for the liberators!

    i feel the same about lead as i do oil. how can something that comes out of the ground be so dang bad for the ground?

    i must have eaten too many paint chips off the window sill as a kid!
    Last edited by roseberry; 12-05-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    john mccallie

  8. #28
    Senior Member Golddogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    with a couple of small tools and a fire i can turn franco's cast net into enough ammo for a waco/ruby ridge preventative.(mel gibson in the partiot) if my cast net has steel weights i can only shoot my wrist rocket at my oppressors/attackers.

    steel is for the minions. lead is for the liberators!

    i feel the same about lead as i do oil. how can something that comes out of the ground be so dang bad for the ground?

    i must have eaten too many paint chips off the window sill as a kid!

    That explains a lot.

    On a serious note, a good friend of mine, 48 years old, is suffering severe short term memory loss as a result of lead from his years as a painter. Scraping and sanding. He will never recover and only get worse.

    Keeping the Lead out isn't always a bad idea Regards
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

  9. #29
    Senior Member Golddogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    If you want to load your own highly effective steel shot I strongly recommend the "lightning steel" recipes at precision reloading http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm...Category_Code=
    Henry, the stuff Charlie made and sold was pretty darn effective!! Before he passed he had perfected a 1700fps load that was devistating. Can't believe it has been a year already, boy do I miss that guy.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

  10. #30
    Senior Member MooseGooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    7,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    Just to add a little science to the discussion on lead tackle, the only estimate of lead loss I am aware of was done for Mille Lacs lake. An study summary is available at http://www.minnesotawaters.org/group...fishing-tackle
    9 tons of lead deposition over 20 years is not a trivial amount of deposition of a toxic substance...just do a search on the health effects of lead or better yet "lead and the roman empire".

    For those still b^chn' about steel shot for hunting, let's not forget that 1.6 to 2.4 millions birds were being killed by lead poisoning annually http://www.ducks.org/conservation/wa...diseases/page2

    If you want to load your own highly effective steel shot I strongly recommend the "lightning steel" recipes at precision reloading http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm...Category_Code=

    With all due respect,,,,, At HOW MUCH PER BOX???
    Don forget to figger in a new steel press, and the TIME INVOLVED rollin yer own...

    The agenda continues to be effective..


    I am a toolmaker of 35 years experience. I machine ALL KINDS of heavy metal. NONE of it is very good for you. NONE of it would be very good for your animals to eat....

    I get a kick out of the smokers in the shop, that go to the smoke shack for their breaks,,,, and then come back into the shop and bitch about what they are required to machine...

    Painters that paint for many years,,, most all will become effected by the FUMES of lacquer, thinners, and paint fumes.... almost addicted...
    This continues today AFTER lead has been removed from paint years ago.. Standars to respirators has steadly incresed over the years to spray NON LEAD based paint... There are just hazzards out there folks.. everyday....

    The LEAD issue though is a back door agenda Pure and simple..... and Many of you have the idea that you have put yourself on a self rightous pedestal,, thinking you are a caring conservationalist...

    Habit loss is far more of a concern to wildlife,, that any lead bullet or pellet is..

    I see dead deer along highways everyday that have been hit by cars....

    JMHO

    Gooser




    Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)


    My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •