The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Steel Shot???

Detailed Description

Some shooting areas require non-toxic loads for upland hunting or clays. You can still pack a punch with these great steel loads. Powerful and fast-easy on shotguns. Fiocchi 12ga 2-3/4" 1-1/16oz (that's 448 pellets; equivalent in pellet count to 1-1/2 oz of lead #7 shot) 1325 fps 7 steel Treated Steel shot Upland Steel 25rds/box 10bxs/case
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Above is a description of a poular manufacturers steel loads.

Notice the velocity.. it IS within the FPS of ATA trap rules along with the payload,,, BUT<<<<< they dont list PRESSURE testing results.

Older guns of mine wont see loads like this unless I can know the pressures..

I will bet though the recoil is MUCH different than my 7000 psi 3/4 ounce clays load,, and as a result,,,my scores would suffer greatly..

the fiocchi ammo is 9.90 a box!!!
    currently out of stock from the retailer.
    Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I cant believe I am still wasting time posting to this thread.......

But,,,, Here is my favorite PRaCTICE target load I load for my Winchester model 21 SXS.

Case:
    12 gauge WW AA

Primer:
    Winchester 209

Wad :
    Winchester Waa12sl

Powder:
    17 grains of Accurate Solo 1000

Shot:
    3/4 ounce hard lead (I use 7 1/2)

1.161 FPS,,, @ 3,400 p.s.i.

Scource:

Ted Curtis of Accurate arms....

Duplicate THAT with steel!!! Inexpensive (Under 3.15 per box) Cream Puff load that just Crushes targets!!

Good flyer load also...

Government wants me to replace that with a 9,000 psi load with 1 1/16 ounces of inferior steel shot..

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 12-09-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

This may be of interest on this thread:

It was recently announced that our nation's last primary lead smelter, in business since 1892, the Doe Run facility in Herculaneum, Missouri, is closing its doors at the end of this year rather than meet costly new EPA regulations. On the heels of that announcement, there was widespread speculation that the closure would dry up the supply of lead needed for the manufacture of ammunition. The NRA reported that "it is the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore." Missouri has the largest lead deposits in the world, and this smelter is the only domestic operation capable of extracting lead from ore, hence its "primary" designation.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2nDYFZbZq
    This lead smelter is indeed the only primary smelter in the U.S. Ammo manufacturers, however, usually use recycled lead produced by secondary smelters. These will remain in operation. Still, according to Doe Run spokesperson Tammy Stankey, closing the Herculaneum plant is likely to have a significant impact on price for all lead-based products. This is borne out by the numbers. The Herculaneum plant produces about 130,000 tons of lead per year, according to the company. Total U.S. lead production for the past five years, including primary and recycled sources, averaged about 1.3 million tons per year, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. This supplied almost all of the 1.4 million ton annual domestic demand.

Closing the Herculaneum plant will reduce domestic supply by approximately 10 percent, necessitating substantial increases in more expensive imported lead. Furthermore, whatever environmental shortcomings existed at the Doe Run plant, you can be sure that the replacement imported lead will come from a much dirtier foreign facility.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Read more about how EPA has dropped the ball on enforcing OLD standards regarding lead smelting at http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...lters/1842879/

Read about local people suing the Missouri smelting plant over lead poisoning of 17 children at http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...1921ea038.html and do a search on "doe run lawsuit" for more interesting stories.

A couple more links http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-diet-of-lead/ and even the blaze is calling bs on the notion that closing the plant was an end run by the Obama administration. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...r-gun-control/
    Last edited by Henry V; 12-12-2013 at 07:05 PM.

So the military wants to kill the enemy with non toxic bullets?? That ought to comfort the terrorists.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    So the military wants to kill the enemy with non toxic bullets?? That ought to comfort the terrorists.
    And a few of our resident progressives!!!