The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breeding ??

NOT to overtake this thread HOWEVER i am starting my search for my next choco dawg, if you have a line on a breeding (or statrted dog) that is suitable please contact me:

briefly, i am located on the coast of NJ and have been in the dog games since the very early 90's.

my journey is the typical, got my first chocolate female lab with no knowledge of what i was getting into, joined a training club and made every mistake possible w/ the best dog ive ever had!

i purchased the next chocolate female and immediately knew i had made a mistake w/ the guidance i received from club members, but hung in there with her and learned more with a lesser dog which proved to benefit us both.

up next was (is) truly my first performance dog. Ms Lena (lean mac x tator pie) x Elwood. this dog has really shown me where the holes are in my training!! Hope is the most athletic dog i have ever been around.

I am looking for a new choco dog as Hope is now 8 and Chance passed in my arms at 12 on Halloween night.

i captain head and charter fishing boats. my dogs do sail w/ me on most trips on the big boat, thus the need for an athletic dog.

the downside of Hopes breeding- she is VERY noisy, despite the best efforts of many very accomplished hunt test and trialers. I also had a VERY difficult time force fetching her, sending her out twice to established pros who both got to a point but neither were satisfied w/ their result. i know that many who had dogs from this breeding experienced like issues however there were many talented dogs who did perform well. as a pheasant dog, i could ask no more!

my goal is to continue in hunt test (akc) and perhaps get my feet wet in trials. my dogs are house dogs and interact with the public daily, so a potential breeding w/ an off switch is a necessity (which Hope is FINALLY getting to)

i look forward to any potential leads....

bill

williamcarroll@comcast.net

please help mydad find me a new brother or sister

Last edited by pwyxit63; 12-14-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    I'd take a good look at FC-AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux. Heck of a nice dog, and is siring well.
    We just got a female by Roux and out of a Ranger daughter. We're more than pleased with her. Very intelligent, trainable and athletic. Couldn't be more pleased.
    Last edited by Trent Goree; 12-15-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Little Bayou Princess "Sadee"

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    If someone is "not a breeder" why would they go through all this???? I for one am very grateful for the serious and responsible breeders out there because I know I could never do it. There are so many wonderful possibilities out there, don't risk your dog or a litter of pups. I love all three of my dogs, but none are so perfect that I have to have his offspring. My cost will be less buying an FCxFC than what I could incur with breeding my own.
    Raising pupies was always a joy for me. I use to raise and train Plott bear hounds and I bred because I liked what I had. I have a female out of NFC Boo and AFC Beat the Rush, I want another dog exactly what she is so I will line breed her next year. Buying a dog from the "serious" breeders unless it is a repeat breeding, is not guarantee of anything. I know what I have in my female, not because she spent all her life on a pro truck and won some trials, I know because I raised her, trained her, hunted her. I know every detail about her and I want more of what I have. Buying from a "serious" breeder for the most part only informs me of a trial record for the most part. It tells me not much of the whole picture of the dog. Just my opinion but raising a litter of pups never was the issues spoken of here for me.

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

Let's hear some more stories about chocolate sires!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    I'd take a good look at FC-AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux. Heck of a nice dog, and is siring well.
    Roux and Drake were out of a chocolate and a black; I've often wondered if they're were a few black males in that litter. I like the idea of crossing chocolate back to a black, widens the gene pool a bit. Of course if I'm gonna go chocolate; I like a chocolate out of black, perhaps harder to find but; it tells me the breeder is not breeding primarily for color and the pups have always seem a tad more balanced (top and bottom) to me

Bred my Black to Roux; Roux gave me what I wanted in the breeding a dog just like my female, with a little more desire to play the HT-FT games. He balanced very well. I'm very pleased with the pups; calm, quite, athletic, very good looking and smart. Very easy to train, very easy to force fetch. They just turned a year mine are running senior level. But the best part is everyone who's took theirs out hunting, says they watch all the birds, and when it's slow just lay there out of the way, so you don't even know they are there. Still you do got to keep an eye on them when shots are going on, my boy decided he was going to run a 300 yd mark to the other blind; when he saw them dump a bird. He was over the dike and in their pond before I found the collar; one good nick and he was back, to laying down watching all the birds .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 12-16-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Let's hear some more stories about chocolate sires!
    Lets Carve our eyes out with a spoon..........
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKEHAVEN View Post
    Lets Carve our eyes out with a spoon..........
    Agreed, I never ever found any rational in color as I am seeing here. As I stated before I used to bear hunt hard with hounds and we had a saying I still go by to this day....."There is no such thing as an ugly dog under a bear tree", what the heck does color have to do with anything. I look for peformance, don't care what color of dog. A good dog, is a good dog! I can just imagine those who had the success of a NFC or AFC saying, "gee my dog should have been chocolate" ???? Breeding for a certain color in MO is what took the Irtish Setter down. Breed the best performer to the best performer. JMHO

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    I can just imagine those who had the success of a NFC or AFC saying, "gee my dog should have been chocolate" ????
    Now Now, I bet if you ask some of those popular sire owners; (2 in particular that I can think of) on whether it is a boon to have a black dog that also carries color. They are very happy to have a little yellow or chocolate hidden in the wood-work. Heck you don't need to ask them just look at the classifieds, advertising Black & yellow, Black & Chocolate, tri-factored etc. Sure it doesn't make the dog but little gene particulars can affect such things, I'd hazard to say that for people interested in color those little genes, might even take precedence over EIC-CNM status; and if you've got stud with all those little letters lining up; you're usually pretty popular.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 12-17-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)