The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deciding whether to Test / Trial on consecutive weekends?

Default Deciding whether to Test / Trial on consecutive weekends?

Having fun looking at the trial and test schedule for 2014 and planning my calendar. There are several tests and trials Feb thru April. A person could almost go every weekend for 3 months. Obviously I won't do that, but there will be a couple of times that I'd be going to a hunt test one weekend and trial the next weekend, then one weekend off and going again the following weekend.

How do you judge whether this is going to make the wheels fall off? I know pros go to consecutive trials week after week. Do they run the same dogs or give them time off. Is it just a matter of each individual dog? And finding out by getting your feet burned?

With a young dog, I have entered 2 in a row and was ready to pick up the dog or scratch the second one if something bad showed up.

After the first week you still have time to enter the third week, if you're feeling good. If you wait til the second week to decide, you just take a week off.

If at any time you see something bad, you should deal with it right away (handle, pick up, scratch the test or the next test, etc)
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

in just about every region of the country you have no choice but to run field trials on consecutive weeks, because its like a traveling carnival of gypsies going from location to location....except in places like Niland Ca. where you might have 4 trials in six weeks all on the same grounds but hosted by 3 different clubs...same goes for Salt Lake City where the trials are back to back but hosted by two different clubs
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

jennifer,
    since you don't correct your dog in training anyway.......i can't see how it will be a problem!
    comment meant as good natured humor!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    in just about every region of the country you have no choice but to run field trials on consecutive weeks, because its like a traveling carnival of gypsies going from location to location....except in places like Niland Ca. where you might have 4 trials in six weeks all on the same grounds but hosted by 3 different clubs...same goes for Salt Lake City where the trials are back to back but hosted by two different clubs

I disagree. Just because trials are being held, does not mean that you need to attend.

I would gauge which trials to run by:
    1) My dog
    2) The judges

I have had some dogs that I would not run three in a row. I had one dog that I ran 7 trials in a row.

Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

mine typically go ape chit crazy on day 2 of hunt tests. couldn't imagine 2 or 3 weekends in a row. Guess its all about what "your dog" can handle.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    ..... Just because trials are being held, does not mean that you need to attend.
    This needs to be somebodys sig line!!!

that is old school RTF Greatness!

West Thompson Ct. every weekend in August regards!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

"How do you judge whether this is going to make the wheels fall off?"

Jennifer,

Like many other things in life it's hard to describe BUT,,,,you know it when you see it...

More times than not a wheel does not just fall off. Sure sometimes an axle will shear and the wheel flies off.

What usually happens is the operator (handler in this case) will notice a snap or click when starting to move the vehicle. Then maybe a slight vibration or shimmy at certain speeds.

Maybe a dull rumble or humming noise....

If left unchecked it turns into violent shaking and rumbling followed by the "Wheel falling off" !!!

This almost always can be avoided by using high grade components and qualified technicians to install said wheels......

Bottom line is....

If you are paying attention to your vehicle (dog) you WILL know when the wheels START to fall off....

Enter your dog,,,,pay attention,,,have fun...

If you notice any deviations from the norm..........Scratch.... Fix... Try again.

Randy

May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

I guess I am answering my own question in advance, but I have often wondered how the pros hit the circuit with a truck full of dogs and compete week after week. Of course the answer is, they are pros, LOL. But I still wonder.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    I have often wondered how the pros hit the circuit with a truck full of dogs and compete week after week.
    1. That is how they make their living.
    2. Not all dogs on the truck are created equally, some win alot some almost never.
    3. At any given time some will be running very well, some will be running poorly, and some are somewhere in between.
    4. That is how they make their living.