The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: garmin gps tracking systems

Default garmin gps tracking systems

I know this is not a retriever question but I'm sure someone will be able to give some info. My old man runs hounds on snowshoe rabbits and is need of a tracking collar system. He is getting the garmin astro 320 system with 2 DC 40 receiver collars for Christmas. We already bought the system. Anyone use this set up? Looking to see what peoples experiences have been with this set up.

Thanks, Danny
    Last edited by DSO; 12-04-2013 at 08:27 PM.

We run an Astro on a coon dog. This is the first year we have used it and we love it! It is nice knowing where the hound is at all times!

"start in loving a dog, and understanding it, bye and bye you'll know how to love all the world!"

I have used a Astro 320 on my squirrel dogs for several years now, it is much more than just a tracking unit

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I am looking at the Alpha for pheasant hunting. I have not pulled the trigger on that yet though.
    Mike Peters

The best money he will ever spend on those hounds. The best tracking system money can buy, with the exception of Garmins more updated versions.
    Get to know the system in and out before going to the field. I know you have rabbit hounds, but I recommend visiting the UKC Coonhound Forum. They have many discussions on this system, tips, and offer help to new owners when problems arrive.

Thanks all. It looks like we made a good purchase

Danny

I have both the DC 40 and DC 50 collars.

I like them both (DC 40 is a bit better fitting on my VERY petite 12 inch hound) however I HIGHLY suggest you replace the antenna on the 40 collar ASAP with a Tuff Skin antenna.
    You'll get WAY better service that way and loose the dogs less.
    The Tuff Skins are longer and stronger.

I have helped so many friends that were having reception issues. Everyone if them all we did was replace the collar antenna. The DC 40 antenna is notorious for breaking internally. You can't tell anything is wrong with them you just get really crappy reception.

By the way so many people have a compulsion to zip tie the antenna close to the collar.
    DONT!
    You get better antenna life and much better reception if you let the antenna whip around naturally. So just let it whip!
    Last edited by Marissa E.; 12-05-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Anyone try out the Sport Dog GPS tracking system? It's similar to Garmin, but cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa E. View Post
    I have both the DC 40 and DC 50 collars.

I like them both (DC 40 is a bit better fitting on my VERY petite 12 inch hound) however I HIGHLY suggest you replace the antenna on the 40 collar ASAP with a Tuff Skin antenna.
    You'll get WAY better service that way and loose the dogs less.
    The Tuff Skins are longer and stronger.

I have helped so many friends that were having reception issues. Everyone if them all we did was replace the collar antenna. The DC 40 antenna is notorious for breaking internally. You can't tell anything is wrong with them you just get really crappy reception.

By the way so many people have a compulsion to zip tie the antenna close to the collar.
    DONT!
    You get better antenna life and much better reception if you let the antenna whip around naturally. So just let it whip!

Thanks for the heads up Marissa. Are these the antenna's you're talking about?

http://www.mttopsupply.com/item.php?item_id=299

If so, are they easy to switch out?

Thanks, Danny

Yes and yes, very easy. Just remove some screws and it sets right in.

I think Gundog supply might have a video of how to do it?