The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Force Fetch Help

Default Force Fetch Help

As some of you know my 1 year old lab just got back form the trainer. He went through a month of FF. He's on the table with the collar right now. As I was watching my trainer the last day he was there I noticed my dog locking up when he'd say fetch, and he'd have to say multiple times sometimes to get him to reach for it. My trainer didn't say anything about it. I had my first session with him yesterday and he did great. Today he was locking up on me or going really slow. I have my collar on 2 and I tried to up it to 3 and it just made it worse. I did just give up on the session I ended on him reaching for it a couple of times.

My question for you guys is this:

Should I keep using the collar or go back to ear pinch? How should I go about progressing or fixing this.

Should I start doing 2 sessions a day even though my trainer was only doing 1?

I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks!

I'd call your trainer and ask some pointed questions. If he went through a month of FF with a "professional trainer" and is "locking up" when he said "FETCH"; then I would question why the trainer ever moved on from ear pinch and was now using the collar in a presumed Collar fetch scenario.

If that dog is balking or locking up on fetch command, then he probably didn't fully understand the command and ear pinch pressure; and how to deal with it. If that is so he certainly shouldn't have been moved on to collar pressure IMHO

I think I'd send him back to finish FF.

On second thought, I might ask for some money back and find a different trainer.

Should you keep using the e-collar? I wouldn't. Force fetch is a pressure conditioning process, and this dog does not sound like one that has a clear picture of how to turn off pressure through compliance. If you don't have solid responses with ear pinch, the e-collar has at least equal potential to make this worse.

How long? Until it's right and reliable. It sounds like your dog needs a trainer who relates to him better, and can read him more effectively. That MAY be you!

For most dogs, in most cases, 2 sessions per day are optimal. Read the dog. Feel free to email me if you want to discuss this in greater detail. Let me know what part of the country you're in and I may know someone who can coach you effectively. rushcreekpress@aol.com

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Here is my recent experience (following Smartworks). Mine clammed up with the e-collar too. But then I slowed down and ear pinched and e-collared(on continual) at the same time. As i worked my way up the e-collar pressure the dog caught on and got very solid on fetch and hold. However, I never made him reach very far (6 -8 inches maybe) when e-collar FFing - except of course when we took the bumper to the ground and which time I switched to nicks with the collar.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Should you keep using the e-collar? I wouldn't. Force fetch is a pressure conditioning process, and this dog does not sound like one that has a clear picture of how to turn off pressure through compliance. If you don't have solid responses with ear pinch, the e-collar has at least equal potential to make this worse.

How long? Until it's right and reliable. It sounds like your dog needs a trainer who relates to him better, and can read him more effectively. That MAY be you!

For most dogs, in most cases, 2 sessions per day are optimal. Read the dog. Feel free to email me if you want to discuss this in greater detail. Let me know what part of the country you're in and I may know someone who can coach you effectively. rushcreekpress@aol.com

Evan
    I really appreciate it! I emailed you!
    Last edited by Morphsuit; 12-05-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Coot Killr View Post
    Here is my recent experience (following Smartworks). Mine clammed up with the e-collar too. But then I slowed down and ear pinched and e-collared(on continual) at the same time. As i worked my way up the e-collar pressure the dog caught on and got very solid on fetch and hold. However, I never made him reach very far (6 -8 inches maybe) when e-collar FFing - except of course when we took the bumper to the ground and which time I switched to nicks with the collar.
    See, that's what I've been told to do! I was just wanting to get some opinions. He's been on nick though. Would switching to continuous confuse him or mess him up? I've been making him reach pretty far like on the table and off the side of the table (maybe it's to far, I'm not sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by Morphsuit View Post
    See, that's what I've been told to do! I was just wanting to get some opinions. He's been on nick though. Would switching to continuous confuse him or mess him up?
    Like anything, it depends on how you do it, and what preparation was done prior to it.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Like anything, it depends on how you do it, and what preparation was done prior to it.

Evan
    I really have no idea what was done prior to it besides the process I'm going by and the trainer said he pretty much does the same thing. What would be a bad sign to know to not use both ear pinch and the collar. In your opinion, do you think I should try both first or go back to ear pinch for a bit.