The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Force Fetch Help

At one year old hopefully not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphsuit View Post
    I'm in Oklahoma. I'm in a retriever club but I don't think they're that much of a help besides trying to tell me what to do just like on here.
    LOL.

Me thinks the OP had to pull the pup from the Pro on account of funds. Now he is trying to do it himself.

Give the guy a break and help.

OP, listen to Pete. And to Chris.

Edit: And guys like them.
    Renee P

so he will pick it up off the ground but wont reach for it when you hold it in front? Start over from the beginning. Start with hold. Get a program and follow it! To the T! Then you can find out what the dog understands and what he don't understand. Its not a race. If it takes you two months then it takes you two months. Read the dog. If your not sure, find some help. This is the most important piece in the puzzle. Get it right or pay the price down the road.

My advice. Put the ecollar away.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Morphsuit View Post
    Well he's not going to go to a trainer. I've done everything else I just need some help on this an I'll get it done.
    For pete sake...Your fishing and at the dog's expense. Dammit...Find an experience trainer to help you and not on the internet or wait a minute...What do you think you can accomplish with this dog besides confusing the hell out of him? Maybe try and make an effort to do things right the first time through other channels and if be, pound the payment for that effort. There are no quick fixes or solutions. Not in this world today even though most what it now and I mean now.
    It's your dog and you are not being fair.
    I am off my soap.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    For pete sake...Your fishing and at the dog's expense. Dammit...Find an experience trainer to help you and not on the internet or wait a minute...What do you think you can accomplish with this dog besides confusing the hell out of him? Maybe try and make an effort to do things right the first time through other channels and if be, pound the payment for that effort. There are no quick fixes or solutions. Not in this world today even though most what it now and I mean now.
    It's your dog and you are not being fair.
    I am off my soap.
    This is the only advise I'd listen to so far.

With all due respect, happy your full of donkey dung. I've ff hundreds of dogs and to pull the the dog at 4 weeks is gonna be a train wreck. He took the dog home too soon. I'd bet money the trainer would agree. If you say you can do it quicker, your gonna have holes. Bottom line...do it right or go home...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Here is a ff video. This is his first ff session. First you have to get him to fetch the bumper immediately in front of his face. Quit putting the bumper on the ground (or table or tailgate) until he is really going for it immediately in front of his mouth. When he won't grab immediately in front of him but will on the ground is probably his retrieving instinct kicking in. So stop doing this. Work your way up to extending the distance away from him.
    Again put the ecollar away. From what I have read this is based on you being inexperienced and not having a program to follow.

I really think a $150-200 investment in a training program would best serve you. If you can't afford that, there are lots of videos available on RTF on ff. You can search Hank (by Pirate) and under my name to find some of them. Also there are a bunch of videos on Youtube. I also believe Evan Graham has a bunch of demo videos available on his website.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ht=Force+fetch
    Wayne Nutt

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    With all due respect, happy your full of donkey dung. I've ff hundreds of dogs and to pull the the dog at 4 weeks is gonna be a train wreck. He took the dog home too soon. I'd bet money the trainer would agree. If you say you can do it quicker, your gonna have holes. Bottom line...do it right or go home...

/Paul
    I completely agree and it's possible scenario he pulled the dog in the middle. However, based upon his description, his dog isn't even reaching for the fetch. In your hundreds of dogs, after a month how often in you program is the dog not reaching and clamping up with the application of pressure after 30 days?

Did the dog start ff on day 1 at the trainers?
    Wayne Nutt