The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Force Fetch Help

[QUOTEDid the dog start ff on day 1 at the trainers?][/QUOTE]

Trainers who do this skip the "trust" factor and go straight into the respect factor. This can cause all kinds of problems.

If your going to "properly train a dog humanely trust should be established first and the dog needs to get used to his new surroundings.
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Morphsuit View Post
    I totally agree with you but I'm confused. I'm getting multiple opinions. I talked to another pro, she said to try the ear pinch and collar at the same time and if that doesn't work go to ear pinch. I'm getting people saying start over and people saying try this and that. So, I'm not sure at all. I've never thought of that I will definitely try that!
    In dog training there is no 'right' answer. All dogs are different and what works for one dog might not work for another.

When in doubt, remove the 'E' factor (Electricity), and then backup to proof what the dog has learned. The Ecollar is only for enforcing what has already been taught. The timing with the Ecollar is critical, and many beginners can create more problems than answers with the collar.

I can empathize with your loss of your job. You don't have to spend money to get your dog 'forced fetched'. Just because someone charges money and calls themself a 'pro' doesn't mean they have all of the answers for your dog. You can learn along with your dog the 'trained retrieve'. Get the word 'force' out of your mind.

Where are you located? Are there any experienced hunt test or field trial people near you? Give them a phone call.

If not, take the process one step at a time. Teach 'hold' first. Then begin using a little ear pinch to get them to grab for the bumper or whatever you are using with 'hold'. There are several videos on Youtube that show people doing just that.

If you get achance, post your video but it sounds like you may already be on the right track! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    On second thought, I might ask for some money back and find a different trainer.
    That was my first thought but it came in the form of "what idiot gave the guy his dog back at this stage of training?"

I get it now that I read the OP comment about job loss...

That sucks

So a recommendation would be to go back to the very beginning. Brush up some obedience as he settles back in to the home situation then start with teaching hold and do the whole process yourself from start to finish. No race to get things done but rather a really good reason to take your time and make sure everything is done correctly.

This seems like a really BAD time to attempt a transition.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 12-06-2013 at 07:46 AM.
    Darrin Greene

I totally agree with you but I'm confused. I'm getting multiple opinions. I talked to another pro, she said to try the ear pinch and collar at the same time and if that doesn't work go to ear pinch. I'm getting people saying start over and people saying try this and that. So, I'm not sure at all.
    Well there's one thing that you should be sure about Morph', and that is- that your dog doesn't completely understand pressure from an ear pinch- at least from you it doesn't.
    And that should narrow it down.

Whether or not it's technique from you that's causing some confusion or not, and regardless of where your trainer arrived with your dog with Collar FETCH, there should be a FULL understanding of pressure - from YOU, with an ear pinch prior to YOU attempting Collar FETCH before it does.

Am in the "put the collar away" , and the "don't throw the pro under the bus", (yet) camps.

Don't believe there's anything wrong with "starting over", you just don't tell the dog you are
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

I normally don't like to advise on ff any more to many pit falls,but I am for some reason I do not know.

The mistake was that the trainer, took the dog in the first place. If some one ask me to ff in on month, I would have said go see some one else. The dog first must be condition the the collar and that takes minimum of 4 weeks. I can ff in one month if everything goes perfect, but dose not include field work.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I completely agree and it's possible scenario he pulled the dog in the middle. However, based upon his description, his dog isn't even reaching for the fetch. In your hundreds of dogs, after a month how often in you program is the dog not reaching and clamping up with the application of pressure after 30 days?
    Totally depends on the dog and where it was at when I get it.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I totally agree with you but I'm confused. I'm getting multiple opinions. I talked to another pro, she said to try the ear pinch and collar at the same time and if that doesn't work go to ear pinch. I'm getting people saying start over and people saying try this and that. So, I'm not sure at all. I've never thought of that I will definitely try that!
    LOL. This is everyone's experience, no matter what the dog game is...

The only thing two trainers can agree on is that the third one is doing it wrong.

Buy Fowldawgs Volume 1 for $20 and follow FF from the beginning. It's easy to do it yourself.
    HR Cut to the Chase UD

“Undoubtedly there will be moments of disappointment as you venture through the landmines of injuries, failures, and other setbacks. Remember that the joy of the journey is worth the difficulties along the way. Don’t let anyone steal that joy. Guard it well, and at the end of the road you can own it and revel in it, with all the other memories of the trip.” Connie Cleveland

Kieth, the plan was to leave the dog longer but the op lost his job. So he picked him up after only one month.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

OK;
    Then my advise would be, go spend a little money and get a program.Then start from the beginning.

Keith

Call Evan, he will help ya over the phone....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"