The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 69

Thread: Force Fetch Help

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    I want to know why a pro didn't have this done in a month.

  2. #12
    Senior Member BJGatley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morphsuit View Post
    I really have no idea what was done prior to it besides the process I'm going by and the trainer said he pretty much does the same thing. What would be a bad sign to know to not use both ear pinch and the collar. In your opinion, do you think I should try both first or go back to ear pinch for a bit.
    Me thinks that you need to stop and find a reputable trainer who know what they are doing otherwise, you will have a dog that doesn't know what to do as well. It's not an experiment if done properly. Take heed.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    Me thinks that you need to stop and find a reputable trainer who know what they are doing otherwise, you will have a dog that doesn't know what to do as well. It's not an experiment if done properly. Take heed.
    Well he's not going to go to a trainer. I've done everything else I just need some help on this an I'll get it done.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I want to know why a pro didn't have this done in a month.
    I'm not sure either. I don't have the money to send him back for it either since I lost my job. I figured I could get it done I just need to fix the locking up issue.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I want to know why a pro didn't have this done in a month.
    My problem wouldn't be the time. Unusual, butit may take longer for some dogs.
    I would have a problem with the process; i.e. moving ahead before he understood & was ready

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    My problem wouldn't be the time. Unusual, butit may take longer for some dogs.
    I would have a problem with the process; i.e. moving ahead before he understood & was ready
    This should have been explained to the customer not just send the dog home to be finished. Unacceptable. And yes, unless it was clearly outlined "why" there is no reason why a person who calls themselves a "Professional Trainer" shouldn't be done in a month. This stuff ticks me off because I've seen a lot of people pay good money only to actually have it stolen from them by the trainer who really does nothing with the dog during the time it could have been trained.

    Then, bring on the excuses why it wasn't done. Either the dog was slow learner, had issues with this and that. Never really telling the true story that the trainer was too lazy to work the dog for 5 minutes twice a day and then throw it a few marks.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 12-05-2013 at 04:01 PM.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    This should have been explained to the customer not just send the dog home to be finished. Unacceptable.
    Would pretty much restarting the whole process be a option? Such as starting at the ear pinch again since he seems to know what HOLD means pretty well.

  8. #18
    Senior Member labsforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Molalla OR
    Posts
    578

    Default

    Morph, Where are you located? Try to get with a local retriever club and some of the more knowledgeable people to get some hands on help.
    just a small hijack since PM isn't working:
    Hey Paul,ready to go to the dark side? I bred Beanie to Nike.Tell Plesko too.

    Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    Morph, Where are you located? Try to get with a local retriever club and some of the more knowledgeable people to get some hands on help.
    just a small hijack since PM isn't working:
    Hey Paul,ready to go to the dark side? I bred Beanie to Nike.Tell Plesko too.

    Jeff
    Nike the water spaniel? that should make for some interesting pups..

  10. #20
    Administrator Chris Atkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mount Zion, IL
    Posts
    6,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morphsuit View Post
    Would pretty much restarting the whole process be a option? Such as starting at the ear pinch again since he seems to know what HOLD means pretty well.
    Morph, the PM function is not working optimally, but some PM notes are working.

    Please see if you received mine and if so, feel free to reply.

    Thanks, Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •