The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Force Fetch Help

I want to know why a pro didn't have this done in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphsuit View Post
    I really have no idea what was done prior to it besides the process I'm going by and the trainer said he pretty much does the same thing. What would be a bad sign to know to not use both ear pinch and the collar. In your opinion, do you think I should try both first or go back to ear pinch for a bit.
    Me thinks that you need to stop and find a reputable trainer who know what they are doing otherwise, you will have a dog that doesn't know what to do as well. It's not an experiment if done properly. Take heed.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    Me thinks that you need to stop and find a reputable trainer who know what they are doing otherwise, you will have a dog that doesn't know what to do as well. It's not an experiment if done properly. Take heed.
    Well he's not going to go to a trainer. I've done everything else I just need some help on this an I'll get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I'm not sure either. I don't have the money to send him back for it either since I lost my job. I figured I could get it done I just need to fix the locking up issue.

My problem wouldn't be the time. Unusual, butit may take longer for some dogs.
    I would have a problem with the process; i.e. moving ahead before he understood & was ready

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    My problem wouldn't be the time. Unusual, butit may take longer for some dogs.
    I would have a problem with the process; i.e. moving ahead before he understood & was ready
    This should have been explained to the customer not just send the dog home to be finished. Unacceptable. And yes, unless it was clearly outlined "why" there is no reason why a person who calls themselves a "Professional Trainer" shouldn't be done in a month. This stuff ticks me off because I've seen a lot of people pay good money only to actually have it stolen from them by the trainer who really does nothing with the dog during the time it could have been trained.

Then, bring on the excuses why it wasn't done. Either the dog was slow learner, had issues with this and that. Never really telling the true story that the trainer was too lazy to work the dog for 5 minutes twice a day and then throw it a few marks.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 12-05-2013 at 04:01 PM.

This should have been explained to the customer not just send the dog home to be finished. Unacceptable.
    Would pretty much restarting the whole process be a option? Such as starting at the ear pinch again since he seems to know what HOLD means pretty well.

Morph, Where are you located? Try to get with a local retriever club and some of the more knowledgeable people to get some hands on help.
    just a small hijack since PM isn't working:
    Hey Paul,ready to go to the dark side? I bred Beanie to Nike.Tell Plesko too.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    Morph, Where are you located? Try to get with a local retriever club and some of the more knowledgeable people to get some hands on help.
    just a small hijack since PM isn't working:
    Hey Paul,ready to go to the dark side? I bred Beanie to Nike.Tell Plesko too.

Jeff
    Nike the water spaniel? that should make for some interesting pups..

Quote Originally Posted by Morphsuit View Post
    Would pretty much restarting the whole process be a option? Such as starting at the ear pinch again since he seems to know what HOLD means pretty well.
    Morph, the PM function is not working optimally, but some PM notes are working.

Please see if you received mine and if so, feel free to reply.

Thanks, Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"