The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Force Fetch Help

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    Morph, Where are you located? Try to get with a local retriever club and some of the more knowledgeable people to get some hands on help.
    just a small hijack since PM isn't working:
    Hey Paul,ready to go to the dark side? I bred Beanie to Nike.Tell Plesko too.

Jeff
    I'm in Oklahoma. I'm in a retriever club but I don't think they're that much of a help besides trying to tell me what to do just like on here.

It may be worth your while to start over again using a program step by step.Lardy, Smart Works, Farmer/Ayecock, etc.That way you can fill in any holes there may be.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Nike the water spaniel? that should make for some interesting pups..
    Sigh! Just trying to get a curly coat without the smell.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

It may be worth your while to start over again using a program step by step.Lardy, Smart Works, Farmer/Ayecock, etc.That way you can fill in any holes there may be.
    Well would I start over from the very beginning such as HOLD or just start at ear pinch?

Quick update: We did our second session today and I tightened his collar a little bit and left it on 2. We were outside on my tailgate, which is a different spot then what we were using. He seemed to do great. Every single time I put the bumper on the tailgate all the way across from him and said FETCH he would pick it up no problem. Then I was holding it up at his chest level across from him saying FETCH and sometimes he would reach and get it and sometimes he would reach towards it and act like he didn't see it then I'd have to put it in front of him and he'd get it. He didn't lock up any at all. I can usually only nick him like once or twice because he gets the bumper so quick.

So, should I keep doing what I'm doing?

To answer your question, yes.You still have holes if he's not consistant. When you build a structure you need the complete foundation don't you? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.
    Build, teach, train.Then he'll understand the whole picture.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

To answer your question, yes.You still have holes if he's not consistant. When you build a structure you need the complete foundation don't you? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.
    Build, teach, train.Then he'll understand the whole picture.

Jeff
    Well, what if I start seeing results using the collar and running into no problems? Or if I start using the collar and ear pinch and that works? I just want to try every thing I can to solve it before starting completely over.

You keep asking "what if".You have gotten answers from people who have been at this game for a long time,written programs. This is why most of those with the knowledge to answer questions don't.Keep flying blind.I am out of this.
    I wish your dog success.
    Later and out.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

As some of you know my 1 year old lab just got back form the trainer. He went through a month of FF. He's on the table with the collar right now. As I was watching my trainer the last day he was there I noticed my dog locking up when he'd say fetch, and he'd have to say multiple times sometimes to get him to reach for it. My trainer didn't say anything about it. I had my first session with him yesterday and he did great. Today he was locking up on me or going really slow. I have my collar on 2 and I tried to up it to 3 and it just made it worse. I did just give up on the session I ended on him reaching for it a couple of times.

My question for you guys is this:

Should I keep using the collar or go back to ear pinch? How should I go about progressing or fixing this.

Should I start doing 2 sessions a day even though my trainer was only doing 1?

I'd appreciate some help.
    Are you saying the dog was at the trainers for a total of 1 month.? And you only sent him out for FFing
    Pete

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Are you saying the dog was at the trainers for a total of 1 month.? And you only sent him out for FFing
    Pete

Pete
    He wasn't supposed to be in there for only one month.