The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Killer / Eater

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKEHAVEN View Post
    I would be willing to bet that half the field in the National Open last month has never seen a Chuckar
    Shit oh dear- never have I and I've been hunting the little bastards for 30 years.

Mythical beast regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Every bird must be properly introduced. By definition this is a hole in their training. What FC owner lets their dogs roam unattended to kill livestock anyways? Is there an FC eater at your house you refer to specifically? What do most dogs do with their first live shot chukar?
    Owned and trained/boarded a bunch with AA points Letters in front of their names that loved nothin better than to eat the LIVIN SHE ITE out of a duck. Some of these had Basics done by the best young dog guys in the retriever game.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Bird dog?? Mine will not be even mildly disciplined for catching the chickens until they are at least 3 years old. I have come to terms with having both barnyard poultry and gundogs - they do not mix and even in the best of situations they sometimes come together and the dog wins...

I have discontinued using bantums and other extra chickens for training. My dogs were so crazy about them that they were preferring them over ducks. Long story short - big fences between your laying hens and your retrievers works for me

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I don't think this is something to joke about.

This dog may be killing or harassing the livestock of a farmer. Maybe the farmer shoots the dog. Not so funny then.
    I would agree 100% so keep your dog at home. That's why they make kennels and why they should not be allowed to run. I grew up on the farm and we lived close to a town. More than one dog never made it home. Had one guy in town that had a dog that we were having trouble with. I told him and he denied that his dog ever left the yard. That was one that never made it home. Kennel it when it's not with you or you will loose it. Don

They are. Take 9 0f 10 Labradors out of the show ring and they will not pick up a live bird to save their souls
    hmm.... wanna bet?

I would be willing to bet that half the field in the National Open last month has never seen a Chuckar
    What usually happens when a dog gets one the first time? You have to work on mouth issues right? Same with pheasants. No difference. First time a dog gets one you fall back upon what foundation was taught and teach another new lesson with that bird introduction. Am I wrong?

I'm starting to get Robert Milner.
    Last edited by mitty; 12-05-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    hmm.... wanna bet?
    If you have taken your nose out of the latest issue of Labrador Quarterly to find this site I'm sure yours are fine.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

I'd also fondly guess a few dogs in the pedigree of those you've owned got a lot of chickens in training during their early years. I know one fella who got a few from me for his latest pups before moving from Washington. Hard to argue with points

One of the most accomplished pointer trainers of all time tells me he gets real excited when his young dogs eat birds. He lets them do it for quite a while before ff to make the retrieve and mouth. Gladly pm you names.