The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help from those that helped start Hunt Tests.

Question Need help from those that helped start Hunt Tests.

I'll be looking through the forum too for past threads, but I needed any other info that could be found too. I am doing an article on Hunt Tests in the US for one of the British Lab Clubs as they don't have anything comparable over there. I'd like any info on why tests were started years ago. I remember we discussed this earlier this year or last and will look for the thread.

Were field trials not easily accessible? Time limits for training for people? Availability of grounds? Has this been a positive thing for the sport?

I will be going through some old AKC stuff too, but know there are some here that have been competing in tests since the start.

Thanks for any help!

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

I knew I read a thread somewhere....Miss Cleo wrote it. Any additions?

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...test+beginning
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

My reasons for doing hunt tests were that field trials don't come close to simulating a days shoot even though the AKC Rule Book says they should. Running against one an other encourages favoritism from some judges (politics). Trick tests and long ridicules retrieves in order to eliminate a large number of dogs to get down to the placements. There is no way a judge can fairly judge the large numbers of dogs entered in the trials. Dogs that do outstanding work don't get any credit for their suburb performances. For instance one week the dog work is so incredibly good that the dogs getting jams would win at many other trials where the dog work wasn't even close. At hunt tests the numbers are such that the judges can test the dogs with good clean tests and have time to do it. All of the handlers can help each other to do well because they are running against a standard not each other. An old successful field trialer told me years ago that if you go to enough trials that they will give you a placement for just showing up. It has to be fun to judge hunt tests where you have time to settle back and watch good dog work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Dogs that do outstanding work don't get any credit for their suburb performances.
    Such is life in the big city - and the big leagues. But your blinkered "rationale" would play well in the UK (and certainly in UK-Mississippi & Tennessee) with those who share your bias against North American field trials.

Sue, besides Miss Cleo's narrative, Mr. Atkinson can undoubtedly give you some stout historical perspective, as can Nelson Sills and as could have, alas, the late Ham Rowan.

As for the UK itself, there was an attempt a few years ago by a startup org., The Gundog Club, to break out of the mold of "working tests" sanctioned by their Kennel Club and to try and somewhat replicate our hunt tests. Don't know how far it got, but all working tests are run on dummies and "liberated" game - such as shot flyers or even fresh-killed birds by whatever means - ain't cricket over there. Thus no Americanized hunt tests, yet.

MG

Thanks guys. I don't think that they are interested in starting Americanized tests. They are just interested in what hunt tests were about and how they differ from field trials. I'm not even delving into their field trials or ours. I can't speak on that at all. Their are much better qualified people for that. In fact, it might be a good topic for next years yearbook.

The split over there is real too. But regardless, I wanted to make sure I got my facts straight as I've only done this for the last ten years. I knew there was a very good set of reasons the tests started. A good part of the article is how to start pups off right to encourage skills, so it's not all hunt test history.

Sue
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

I think this page pretty much describes why.

http://www.webbedpause.com/hrchist/news1.htm

"Honor to whom Honor is due"

Omar Driscol.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

That is HRC's first magazine.

Pretty interesting/
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    I'll be looking through the forum too for past threads, but I needed any other info that could be found too. I am doing an article on Hunt Tests in the US for one of the British Lab Clubs as they don't have anything comparable over there. I'd like any info on why tests were started years ago. I remember we discussed this earlier this year or last and will look for the thread.

Were field trials not easily accessible? Time limits for training for people? Availability of grounds? Has this been a positive thing for the sport?

I will be going through some old AKC stuff too, but know there are some here that have been competing in tests since the start.

Thanks for any help!

Sue Puff
    Sue, See my pvt email to you on hunt test info.

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post

Thanks for any help!

Sue Puff
    Sent pvt email to you

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Off to train in the freezing cold!

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com