The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Issues

Default Puppy Issues

Hello all,

My wife and I are the proud parents of a 12 week old male Yellow Lab. We have had him for about three weeks. There are a few issues that I am not quite sure how to deal with, and I want to make the appropriate corrections/changes now, so they do not become more of an issue or interfere with his training in the future.

First off, We are crate training him at night and during the day while at work as we live in a new house and do not want the house destroyed and our backyard is currently just a mud pit until I can get the landscaping done in the spring. I am concerned about his behavior in the kennel at night. He cries/whines when he needs to go to the bathroom, typically 3-4 times a night. I have been getting up each time I hear him and taking him out to potty. My concern is that if I continue doing this he will never be quiet throughout the night in his kennel regardless of whether or not he has the physical ability to "hold it" all night. Should I continue the way I have been or should I ignore him to teach him to "hold it" all night?

Secondly, He has a major issue with biting. We have tried several different methods to curb the biting and make it clear that he is not to put teeth on human skin. We have tried getting up and leaving the room, substituting our arms/legs/hands for his toys, holding his snout and telling him "no bite." I have even tried the rolling the lip over and pressing it on his K9, but nothing seems to phase him! He even seems to be targeting my hands when I am trying to give him his toys. Is there anything else I can do to curb this behavior in a hurry...his teeth are sharp little buggers!

Lastly, I have a few questions about training programs. Can someone suggest a training program for a novice trainer? I currently have a copy of the 10 Minute Retreiver book on hold at my library that I should have in my hands by this weekend, but I tend to be more of a visual learner, so a DVD program might be a better fit for me. Also, most training programs that I am aware of use an e-collar. At what age should I introduce the pup to an e-collar and begin its use? I have been reading quite a bit about the collars and have a general understand of how to use them appropriately. I have been looking at either the Dogtra 280NCP or the 1900 NCP. Shoud I choose one collar over the other?

Thanks in advance! I am excited to begin this journey and look forward to getting to know all of you as my pup and I progress!

-Daniel
    Last edited by 08trdoffroad; 12-05-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Little puppies are incapable of "holding it" all night. I went through this with a new puppy last fall, and indeed often had to get up several times a night for a while. As the pup matures, he will sleep through the night. If pup is whining that he need to go out, then get up and let him out. If you don't, he will have no choice but to mess in his crate. One thing that worked for me was a nice long walk just before bedtime. My pup was very high energy and this helped with the sleep process. Do you have someone who can let him out in the middle of the day, if you are at work all day?
    Shirley Christian
    Fort Collins, CO
    shirley.christian79@gmail.com

There's no reason a 12wk old puppy can't hold it through the night (~8hrs). Where is the crate? Put the crate right next to your bed and when he stirs, put your hand against the door. Don't say anything. 9 times out of 10, the puppy just needs to know it's not alone and will cuddle up to your hand and go back to sleep. If he continues to stir/cry, then yes take him out but again no talking or playing or treats, just potty and back to crate. Of course make sure that the puppy has peed AND pooped at last call before you call it a night.

For biting, I do the lip curl over the canine tooth and apply pressure until they cry. Immediately present your hand to them again. If they bite/mouth, repeat. If they lick or turn away, praise like crazy.

I've used Sound Beginnings with success with puppies, but I'll let others with more experience chime in on that one!

Good luck with your puppy

With Rowdy I would yell OW very loud when he put his teeth on me. He stopped biting. This is supposed to simulate what his litter mates would do when one got too rough.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Sound Beginnings DVD gets my vote for the novice trainer.
    Terry C.

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

Sunny Dee Light MH QAA (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea, Derby Dog (Crude)

I so hope he is getting lots of exercise when you get home. Being in a crate all day and all night is not the perfect thing for those growing bones. As the other person noted, put the crate in your bedroom for a while. If he is getting the proper exercise, he should be tired and not wanting to get up to go out after bedtime. Puppies are teething and their gums hurt, that is why they are chewing and biting. Sometimes just making a fist with your hand will stop him. But do give him ice cubes to chew on; it helps numb those sore gums. Some pups just necessarily seem to bite more than others; they do outgrow it. Collar conditioning at 6 months. Training with leash from 9 weeks on!
    Peg Willbond
    HRCH Rippling Run Good Golly Molly, MH, UD, WCX
    Rippling Run Touch of Spice ** MH, WCX
    Rippling Run Allie Allie In Free, ** MH, WCX

I so hope he is getting lots of exercise when you get home. Being in a crate all day and all night is not the perfect thing for those growing bones. As the other person noted, put the crate in your bedroom for a while. If he is getting the proper exercise, he should be tired and not wanting to get up to go out after bedtime. Puppies are teething and their gums hurt, that is why they are chewing and biting. Sometimes just making a fist with your hand will stop him. But do give him ice cubes to chew on; it helps numb those sore gums. Some pups just necessarily seem to bite more than others; they do outgrow it. Collar conditioning at 6 months. Training with leash from 9 weeks on!
    Peg Willbond
    HRCH Rippling Run Good Golly Molly, MH, UD, WCX
    Rippling Run Touch of Spice ** MH, WCX
    Rippling Run Allie Allie In Free, ** MH, WCX

A tired puppy is a good puppy. In our house we call it "de bouncing the puppy". You want him to come in from your evening walk/play session ready to settle down on the floor. That will cut down on the mouthing and help sleeping thru the night.
    Coppertop's Captain Kirk CD MH WCX CCA VC (2004-2011) (Kirk)
    Gaylan's Roddenberry a la Mode SH WCX CCA (Kira)
    Top Flight's Cayuga Klingon SH, WC. (Worf)
    Coppertop's Trill of a Lifetime (in training) (Dax)

The loud "ow" or imitation puppy yelp quickly cured our pup's mouthiness. But I was also home all day interacting and exercising her. If this puppy is crated for 8hrs or more a day without getting out to relieve himself, he has probably reversed day and night and won't ALSO be able to be in crate all night without relief. The rule is puppies can hold it for as many months they are +1. A 3 mo pup should not be crated for longer than 4 hours! How about setting up an ex-pen in the house for during the day. Line the floor with some disposable or washable pee pads. Place a cozy bed and safe few toys in there. Maybe a frozen Kong with pnut butter in it to keep him busy part of the day. You really need to provide fresh water during the day and puppy should be taken out midday. Perhaps a relative, friend, neighbor, or puppy walker can be arranged? Ideally pup this age is fed 3x/day. I am surprised your breeder didn't go over a lot of this. You are just inviting trouble keeping such a young pup crated for 16+ hours per day. Please see what arrangements you can make, it is an investment in your puppy's physical and mental health! Good luck

Also brief, 5 min, training sessions several times each evening will mentally tire pup, along with at least 2 long walks and some rowdy large muscle exercise time to tire his body.