The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Issues

What are you doing for your pup to get daily exercise? Who is letting him out during the day while you and your wife are at work? A daily walk around the block is good exercise for your 90 year old grandmother but it will not even put a dent in a growing retriever pup.

Do you hunt? Have you ever been to a training day with an HRC or gone to a field trial or hunt test? Sporting dogs have an enormous amount of energy, they are made to go hard for hours at a time and even at 13 weeks, your puppy needs aerobic exercise, something that gets his heart rate up. You are going to end up with some serious behavior problems with this dog if he does not get adequate exercise and playtime. It is very difficult to get a puppy that young hard, daily exercise if you don't have another young dog in the house for him to wrestle and romp with. He needs physical and mental stimulation and to be getting out in the world so he is socialized. Get a crate for your car and take him everywhere you go with you, any time you are out running errands he should go too. Every minute he is not alone and asleep in his crate is good for tiring him out. I can't emphasize enough how important it is for him to get out and meet new people and go different places every chance you get. Let him see kids playing at a playground or at a soccer field, take him out in front of a hardware store or grocery store and let people give him treats for sitting nicely. The more time you put into him now the more well adjusted he will be as he grows up. He is still a very young baby, he's only been way from his litter mates for 21 days and he needs you to teach him everything. Are you signed up for a basic puppy kindergarten or obedience class? It's a great experience for him and getting practice and assistance from experienced trainers will help you a bunch. No matter what you choose to do with your dog, he needs a nice solid obedience foundation to be a good family member or a welcome partner for a days hunt or whatever. Retriever puppies are very mouthy but I suspect the excessive biting is a result of a ton of pent up energy. Do you leave him with anything to chew in his crate? Frozen kong, or an antler? Chewing is a big outlet for energy. Don't let this go, you are missing out on important growth and learning time for him, he's a sponge right now and you don't want to miss out on teaching him everything you can.

Kristy
    & Ellie aka 'Richwood Work Hard Play Harder'

No food or water after 6 pm and they will sleep all night long with no accidents. Unless it is hot and they need water obviously.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Hey all,

Just to update, our pup is doing well. He is now almost 16 weeks old. He is sleeping a good solid 7-8 hours each night. Accidents in the kennel are few and far between and most can be blamed on me for not putting water up or getting out of our routine. He is loose in the house with us at all times when we are home. He is trained to ring a bell hung on the door knob when he needs to potty. He is still quite mouthy...nothing seems to be curtailing the biting, but I am just dealing with it and hoping he will out grow it. He has quite the personality...for some reason he really likes watching cartoons.

My wife and I are in the process of getting a dog run and dog house so he can air outside while we are at work (until the sod in the back yard is laid in the spring, and then he will have free run of out 1/4 acre yard) which will give him more room to stretch and get a bit of exercise until we get home. But, how cold is too cold to leave him outside? Right now our afternoon highs are in the mid to high thirties.

Here is a pic of him! He is getting big! It seems like he grows everyday!

Does anyone know if a training schedule exists? Something like a chart that shows me where my pup should be in training given his age? I just don't want to get behind!

Also, does he look to skinny? I am feeding him almost 2.5 cups of Kirkland Dog Food everyday, but you can still see his ribs.
    Last edited by 08trdoffroad; 01-02-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Glad its working out for you but please dont leave your dog unattainded in your back yard it is very dangerous. He may get into something , get out the fence( I see this on a daily bases in my neighborhood), you just never know. Keep him kenneled no matter what age. Hes safer

Quote Originally Posted by 08trdoffroad View Post
    Hey all,

Just to update, our pup is doing well. He is now almost 16 weeks old. He is sleeping a good solid 7-8 hours each night. Accidents in the kennel are few and far between and most can be blamed on me for not putting water up or getting out of our routine. He is loose in the house with us at all times when we are home. He is trained to ring a bell hung on the door knob when he needs to potty. He is still quite mouthy...nothing seems to be curtailing the biting, but I am just dealing with it and hoping he will out grow it. He has quite the personality...for some reason he really likes watching cartoons.

My wife and I are in the process of getting a dog run and dog house so he can air outside while we are at work (until the sod in the back yard is laid in the spring, and then he will have free run of out 1/4 acre yard) which will give him more room to stretch and get a bit of exercise until we get home. But, how cold is too cold to leave him outside? Right now our afternoon highs are in the mid to high thirties.

Here is a pic of him! He is getting big! It seems like he grows everyday!

Does anyone know if a training schedule exists? Something like a chart that shows me where my pup should be in training given his age? I just don't want to get behind!

Also, does he look to skinny? I am feeding him almost 2.5 cups of Kirkland Dog Food everyday, but you can still see his ribs.

Find a program and stick with it.
    I like smartworks.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLattuca View Post
    Glad its working out for you but please dont leave your dog unattainded in your back yard it is very dangerous. He may get into something , get out the fence( I see this on a daily bases in my neighborhood), you just never know. Keep him kenneled no matter what age. Hes safer
    Kenneled in the house, or in a dog run?

I've seen retriever flow charts(Smartworks and Lardy), but they're not age related. Start off with the Hillman DVD. He starts the dog on there at around 11 weeks. Don't be concerned about falling behind or where your dog should be at what age. Train at your own pace. If you can't get the training done, leave him with a trainer that you like.

It will be nice when the dog can run around your 1/4 acre but he will probably sleep as soon as you leave. They don't tend to "self exercise".

He doesn't look skinny to me. Follow the feeding guidelines on your food for his age and weight.

The biting will end eventually. Nothing seemed to work with mine either at least not that I could tell. Just be consistent about it whatever you do to stop it.

As far as being too cold, I can't help you there. My day time low is around 46 degrees. As messed up as California can be, the weather isn't one of the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 08trdoffroad View Post
    Kenneled in the house, or in a dog run?
    Definatly in the house at this age but when hes a little older outside. My last pup did ok at 5 months outside in the kennel.

And make sure you have a good floor for your kennel outside. Concrete or Ive used 16x16 stepping stones if you put sand down under them. Labs are masters at escape trust me I know but was always lucky they didnt go far. My last female use to untie the wires to a chainlink kennel on the bottom and get out or lift the latch. lol. Now I have a welded wire kennel

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLattuca View Post
    And make sure you have a good floor for your kennel outside. Concrete or Ive used 16x16 stepping stones if you put sand down under them. Labs are masters at escape trust me I know but was always lucky they didnt go far. My last female use to untie the wires to a chainlink kennel on the bottom and get out or lift the latch. lol. Now I have a welded wire kennel
    We are going to do the 18x18 stepping stones. My first lab dang near had her name changed to Houdini! If there was a way out, she found it. She even went as far as chewing the ties and the chain link and unweaving it until the hole was big enough for her to squeeze out.
    Last edited by 08trdoffroad; 01-02-2014 at 03:22 PM.