The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Puppy Issues

Quote Originally Posted by 08trdoffroad View Post
    Hey all,

Just to update, our pup is doing well. He is now almost 16 weeks old. He is sleeping a good solid 7-8 hours each night. Accidents in the kennel are few and far between and most can be blamed on me for not putting water up or getting out of our routine. He is loose in the house with us at all times when we are home. He is trained to ring a bell hung on the door knob when he needs to potty. He is still quite mouthy...nothing seems to be curtailing the biting, but I am just dealing with it and hoping he will out grow it. He has quite the personality...for some reason he really likes watching cartoons.

My wife and I are in the process of getting a dog run and dog house so he can air outside while we are at work (until the sod in the back yard is laid in the spring, and then he will have free run of out 1/4 acre yard) which will give him more room to stretch and get a bit of exercise until we get home. But, how cold is too cold to leave him outside? Right now our afternoon highs are in the mid to high thirties.

Here is a pic of him! He is getting big! It seems like he grows everyday!

Does anyone know if a training schedule exists? Something like a chart that shows me where my pup should be in training given his age? I just don't want to get behind!

Also, does he look to skinny? I am feeding him almost 2.5 cups of Kirkland Dog Food everyday, but you can still see his ribs.
    Lardy has a chart that goes with his training program........
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Also, does he look to skinny? I am feeding him almost 2.5 cups of Kirkland Dog Food everyday, but you can still see his ribs.
    He doesn't look too skinny--at least in that picture--but that amount sounds low to me. Definitely better to keep them lean rather than overweight, though.

I have been feeding him the purple bagged adult formula as that is what the breeder had been feeding him. The bag says to feed his weight less than a cup and a half a day, but that doesn't seem like much to me. It is a pretty highly rated food so I haven't worried too much about switching him to the puppy version. Is there anyone else that feeds their pups adult formula food?

Last edited by 08trdoffroad; 01-02-2014 at 04:06 PM.

I use 3 cups....1C in am, 1C at noon, and 1C at 6pm....until 6 months...then only 1 1/2 C in am. and 1 1/2 C in pm. Again, exercise is so important and if he is tired, he won't bite as much...I always have marrow bones from grocer to give them something to chew on. They have them forever. Again, those gums are sore...try the ice cubes in the evening to cut down on the biting. He looks really cute and it sounds like you are doing a great job with the ringing the bell to go outside!
    http://www.billhillmann.net/reviewTrainingPuppy.htm http://www.billhillmann.net/
    Peg Willbond
    HRCH Rippling Run Good Golly Molly, MH, UD, WCX
    Rippling Run Touch of Spice ** MH, WCX
    Rippling Run Allie Allie In Free, ** MH, WCX

I have ordered a copy of Sound Beginnings with some Christmas money, just waiting for it to arrive from Gun Dog Supply...I just wish the other's dvd's weren't so blasted expensive...I understand they have taken the time to put the programs together, but $100+ for a dvd is just absurd to me!

Check the forum for used DVD's....or place an ad asking for one and I am sure you will find one less expensive.......FEED PUPPY FOOD...NOT ADULT. They probably did that as they didn't want to go out and buy the puppy formula, but they need the benefits from the puppy food for their growing bones.http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/puppy-...food-1143.html
    Peg Willbond
    HRCH Rippling Run Good Golly Molly, MH, UD, WCX
    Rippling Run Touch of Spice ** MH, WCX
    Rippling Run Allie Allie In Free, ** MH, WCX

I have ordered a copy of Sound Beginnings with some Christmas money, just waiting for it to arrive from Gun Dog Supply...I just wish the other's dvd's weren't so blasted expensive...I understand they have taken the time to put the programs together, but $100+ for a dvd is just absurd to me!
    Fowl dawgs whole set 80 bucks cant bet it. or 25 a piece till u get all the money. That food looks good Id stick with it. The calcium is only 1 perc and the phos. is only .8 perc. I think you would be ok. I see a lot of all age foods higher than that. Maybe throw in some omega 3-6-9 capsules to support it.
    Last edited by TonyLattuca; 01-02-2014 at 04:42 PM.

IMG_0548_zps38a598a9.jpg

My 9 week old pup getting used to snow. No aversion to snow. I have that! He is sleeping in his crate a good part of the night. Three meals a day (3 cups total) of ProPlan Puppy. I have hired a sitter to come in a couple times while I am at work. She will walk and give him food etc. Really nice!!b/c pup less problems settling and is exercised!!! I am very lucky b/c she lives almost right behind me and loves dogs esp Labs!
    Used Fowl Dogs for my Tar. Very easy to understand.IMHO Right now I am viewing Sound Beginings and Bill Hillman's puppy DVDs.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I wish I had the money to hire a sitter, but I don't...

Well... I'll chime in. Tumick's Hornpipe Branna (Gaelic for Raven) is 9 weeks and change. She sleeps in a crate at my bedside and it's about 50:50 now. Half the time she sleeps through the night, half the time she needs to get up once between 2 and 4 AM... but then (thankfully) she goes back to sleep. I'm doing the Hillmann videos for now and she is too young to really be expected to perform like the 11 week old pup in the series. BUT... she is. That is to say she is walking on a line (about 50-75% of the time trying to watch me) and her sit is darn good... I can step away and walk around her and she stays sitting. Oh, and she is a ferocious retriever of paint-rollers.

We are subject to some really cold weather here and leaving her outside was out of the question, even with an insulated dog house. (I would worry too much.) So she goes to school (I teach) with me and stays in a crate in the back of the truck. Every hour and a half to two hours I go get her and spend 15 minutes with her, either playing or watering/feeding her, or airing her or all three.

Nothing is ideal. But the value in this system, I think, is every interaction is positive, she bonds more strongly with me, and I know she's safe, warm and cared for.