The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Help Getting On The Right Track

Default I Need Help Getting On The Right Track

First off i am new to training retrievers and have a male 4.5 month old chocolate lab and wanting to train him myself there is not any groups close I can train with that I know of but are some 3+ hours away that’s a bit far so I am needing help to get on the right path I have been working with obedience mainly and the two resources I have been using is Tom Dokkens puppy book and Robert Milners book. And was hoping to get some ideas on training guidelines or programs and I know I will get a lot of different opinions but opinion will help

with the end goal to be a great hunting dog and my be try a few hunt tests

And im sorry im sure someone will say this has been covered before and supply a link which will also help!

Thanks -Chad
    Last edited by Hibner54; 12-06-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: adding

Bill Hillmans Puppy dvd.

Top of this page, lower left hand corner,,, Hawkeye media

Start with a GREAT sit! and a really nice attitude to work.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

There are a number of good programs.
    For puppies:
    Jackie Mertens, Sound Beginnings
    Bill Hillman, Training a Retriever Puppy

For total programs:
    Total Retriever Training 2 ed, Mike Lardy
    Smartworks, Evan Graham
    Fowl Dogs, Rick S.

I use TRT by Mike Lardy. Some beginners favor Smartworks. I think Fowl Dogs is the cheapest.

There is lots of information on each of these programs. If you stay with Lardy or Graham there are lots of people who use them and can help you along the way.
    For my most recent dog. I started with Sound Beginnings for very young puppy treat training. Then I progressed to Hillmans Puppy DVD for traffic cop sit and steady drills. Then I transitioned to Lardy. At this point stay with whichever program you select.
    If you do a search for Rowdy (by Pirate) under my name you can see video clips of Rowdy doing Mertens and Hillman drills.
    Hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

You can't ever overdo the obedience I tolerated less than perfect, as I was a complete newbie anxious to start retrieving, didn't realize how important line manners and a good sit were. Also didn't expect to get so hooked and want to attain higher level titles. I couldn't see the whole big picture, just one step at a time. The videos and resources cited above are excellent. I finally got and used Lardy, which helped organize stuff, but not quite enough explanations "why" in my opinion. Plus the retriever "lingo" was confusing. I had no one to ask what the heck a poison bird was! Ask here and you'll get lots of good answers and help. I found James Spencer's drill books very helpful. You said no groups near you? There may be people closer than you think! Search online for retriever breeders(doesn't have to be your breed). Call any that advertise field dogs and talk to them, start networking to find a few helpful souls. The other place might be local gun club, see if any members there use retrievers. Just like finding land and water to train on, it may take knocking on lots of doors before you find the right ones. Good luck, five years ago I had never held a gun. Now I have a multi titled dog we just bred, and I am dreaming of our next pup becoming a MH. Beware it is addicting

With the DVDs that are available from Bill Hillmann that go beyond the scope of his Puppy DVD, I would add Hillmann to the list of "total" programs.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dogluvah View Post
    You can't ever overdo the obedience I tolerated less than perfect, as I was a complete newbie anxious to start retrieving, didn't realize how important line manners and a good sit were.
    Amen, and amen. Truer words were never spoken. And you can never stop maintaining it either.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

You CAN most certainly over do ob with some young dogs. Not all dogs are the same and neither are all puppy's. This is a great resource but beware of the folks that give you advice that contains words like NEVER, ALLWAYS, ect. They don't know or have never seen your dog. They think you have the same dog they have. Train the dog on the end of the rope. Not the dog the internet expert owns, not the dog you had before, not the dog your buddy trained. Train the dog YOU OWN.

I really like the Fowl Dawgs DVD's for novice trainers. www.finelineretrievers.com I like them for everyone but really like them for first timers.

Good luck with your new friend and keep it fun.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIM DOANE View Post
    You CAN most certainly over do ob with some young dogs. Not all dogs are the same and neither are all puppy's. This is a great resource but beware of the folks that give you advice that contains words like NEVER, ALLWAYS, ect. They don't know or have never seen your dog. They think you have the same dog they have. Train the dog on the end of the rope. Not the dog the internet expert owns, not the dog you had before, not the dog your buddy trained. Train the dog YOU OWN.

I really like the Fowl Dawgs DVD's for novice trainers. www.finelineretrievers.com I like them for everyone but really like them for first timers.

Good luck with your new friend and keep it fun.
    Great post Tim!!
    Thank You

There are quite a few threads that pop up here from folks worried because their pup won't retrieve. These problem dogs all have impeccable obedience, according to the posters. So it seems that too much OB and not enough Go! makes for an unbalanced pup.

This is the beauty of Hillman's puppy DVD that Gooser mentioned---Hillman emphasizes balancing obedience and retrieving. I got a similar lesson from Ted Shih when I first joined the forum with my new pup, as I recall he used a Goldilocks analogy. How much of one vs the other depends on the particular pup.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by T-Pines View Post
    With the DVDs that are available from Bill Hillmann that go beyond the scope of his Puppy DVD, I would add Hillmann to the list of "total" programs.

Jim
    Bill Hillman has some great dvds that go beyond his puppy program. Very easy to follow for someone new to training. He places a big emphasis on balance and having fun with the dog. Find a program that you find easy to follow and stick with it rather than trying to work of multiple. Its like a puzzle to someone new, find the right pieces from one and put it together. Good luck!
    Last edited by Rick S; 12-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.