The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is considered "too cold" for a Lab

Default What is considered "too cold" for a Lab

Looking for some input on what you guys think is "too cold" for a dog to duck hunt.....specifically for a dog that spends most nights inside the house.

Thanks

I think the rule of thumb is if it is too cold for you, then then its too cold for the dog. I usually know when it is too cold for a lab when my lab friends calls come in earlier in the week and more frequently to invite me and request I bring a Chessie.
    Erik B.

Quote Originally Posted by jpws View Post
    Looking for some input on what you guys think is "too cold" for a dog to duck hunt.....specifically for a dog that spends most nights inside the house.

Thanks
    It depends on the dog. The dog will tell you when it's too cold to do it's job. If they curl up and "nest" and are shivering heavily, It's time to go. You can extend their time in the field by using a vest, not allowing them to get in the water until there's a bird down, and drying them off with a shammy between retrieves. A good wind break will be a godsend to both of you! Good luck!-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

I hold off on training when I worry about my dog freezing his vocal cords and throat in extremely cold weather, like -20 or colder. As for hunting, I just watch the dog, but I can't remember it being too cold to hunt ducks, at some point all water is frozen and no ducks are flying, at least up here in Montana. Actually right now it is -10 with a wind blowing and the river has frozen solid. Question is, will there be any birds left when it thaws in a few weeks? I'm guessing, no.

John

-13 was not too cold for SD pheasant hunt, dogs thought it was much warmer even though the hunters didn't

Hey John, Have you seen Flathead lake. We were in Polson this morning and all you can see is ice. Pretty amazing. It was -4 at my house in Ronan last night and got all the way up to 5 today.
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverNation View Post
    ....I usually know when it is too cold for a lab when my lab friends calls come in earlier in the week and more frequently to invite me and request I bring a Chessie......
    It'd have to be a cold day in hell too...................

You know its too cold when your dog gives you a "no go" when you open the door to let them go out and air
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Another factor ....is how you prepare your dogs gear. Do you consider what keeps them warm,like you do when you get your gear ready the night before? My dogs vest is as important to her as my socks are to me ( her vest stays in my wader bag), from there its a Sham-wow and anything else I think she might need, will she have access to a heater? consider how /where the dog will be at during the hunt and if I can ensure she will be at least on dry ground in between retrievers.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    -13 was not too cold for SD pheasant hunt, dogs thought it was much warmer even though the hunters didn't

Hope you're hunting where there are birds. There are some up here but not enough to get me out to hunt in this weather...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)