The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is considered "too cold" for a Lab

On really cold days I try to drop 4-6 birds before sending him out. Instead of sending him out for every single dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Hope you're hunting where there are birds. There are some up here but not enough to get me out to hunt in this weather...
    We had a good day, just cold

Quote Originally Posted by jpws View Post
    Looking for some input on what you guys think is "too cold" for a dog to duck hunt.....specifically for a dog that spends most nights inside the house.

Thanks
    When everything is frozen like here, then I head to the fields to hunt. I just gather wheat stubble and place in the dog blind. They are happy campers.

Edit to post: I might occasionally have a dog's paw freese up in which case I cut the hairs between the paws to prevent that.
    Last edited by BJGatley; 12-06-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: More content to help out.

FOrtunately for me i'm not the one swimming ( i hope) so not a valid comparison. It is supposed to be -1, so we will have to head to the "big water" that won't be frozen.....It'd not be the most convenient thing to get all the way out - 15 minute boat ride, setup decoys....to find out the pup is miserable. So, i think i've made the executive decison to not take her, despite have a custom fitted jacket. Dont want the first duck of the year to be a negative experience....even though she had a BALL playing in the snow today for the first time.

I hunted in wheat fields when it was 6 below the day before yesterday and dogs had no problem. They did though get plenty of exercise retrieving geese.

I just went out and jump shot a creek at -2 degrees F today. I had a vest on my dog and she had to swim across the small creek a few times on retrieves. I got a triple and she went across and back through the creek 3 times. Then she ran around like crazy and rolled and then looked at me like lets get some more. We were walking in grass so her feet were good. Sometimes on the river at neg temps her feet stick to the rocks. She was moving a lot today so she was fine. Any colder and I am probably sitting at home.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcommand View Post
    Hey John, Have you seen Flathead lake. We were in Polson this morning and all you can see is ice. Pretty amazing. It was -4 at my house in Ronan last night and got all the way up to 5 today.
    Hi Janet, Good to hear from you. I see your pictures on the evening news every now and then and think about you. Yes, it's cold and Flathead Lake could totally freeze if this keeps up for another week. They told us that it freezes over every decade or so when we moved here in 91. It came close in 97 but then a big wind picked up a caused waves which broke up the ice. We woke up to -21 this morning, a high of -4 today and slowly warming from here, but still minus numbers as late as Wednesday.

I hope you are warm and healthy, we miss seeing you at the trials.

John

It was 9 above this am my dog made 3 retrieves. She had a vest on but sat on the bank 4 hrs no problem. I did dry her off after each retrieve.

Shawn how does that sham-wow work? Is it the same as a shammy rag?
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Hi Janet, Good to hear from you. I see your pictures on the evening news every now and then and think about you. Yes, it's cold and Flathead Lake could totally freeze if this keeps up for another week. They told us that it freezes over every decade or so when we moved here in 91. It came close in 97 but then a big wind picked up a caused waves which broke up the ice. We woke up to -21 this morning, a high of -4 today and slowly warming from here, but still minus numbers as late as Wednesday.

I hope you are warm and healthy, we miss seeing you at the trials.

John
    Wow, -21!! I couldn't imagine that. People just don't realize how tough dogs are if conditioned properly.

OP, It doesn't get that cold where we hunt but you will see ice and some mornings in the teens and occasionally single digits. The most important thing is condition the dogs for this weather. In other words, don't let them be couch potatoes and then throw them out in it. Take them outside for extended amounts of time on a regular basis. Builds up the coat and they get use to it. If you have to leave the dog, leave it in a pen outside where it can become accustomed to the weather.