The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog training video programs...

Default Dog training video programs...

I think the dog training video programs are fantastic and getting better every year, but I am curious how well they work for the total newbie. I started my first hunting dog with nothing but Wolters "Water Dog" back in the day, so I would think a video program would be light years better than that, but I still wonder how good they are. By the time I bought my first video, The Lardy Tapes, I had already trained up two Master Hunters by working with some good amateurs and pros alike, so I kind of knew what dog training was about. It seemed to me the Lardy tapes were geared more to guys like me who had prior experience and could be difficult for the newbie to follow. The guy on the force fetch thread made me wonder about this. Could he just buy Smartworks or Lardy and work through his problem?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I think the dog training video programs are fantastic and getting better every year, but I am curious how well they work for the total newbie. I started my first hunting dog with nothing but Wolters "Water Dog" back in the day, so I would think a video program would be light years better than that, but I still wonder how good they are. By the time I bought my first video, The Lardy Tapes, I had already trained up two Master Hunters by working with some good amateurs and pros alike, so I kind of knew what dog training was about. It seemed to me the Lardy tapes were geared more to guys like me who had prior experience and could be difficult for the newbie to follow. The guy on the force fetch thread made me wonder about this. Could he just buy Smartworks or Lardy and work through his problem?

John
    John,

Of course each person is different, so no one size can fit all. That would include going to work with any given pro because that pro may not click with a given person. But people can and do start their first dogs all the time, and succeed with a good PROGRAM. I get tons of mail that attests to it. It just depends on the dog & person combo! I can think of at least three other programs whose authors can say the same.

Evan
    Last edited by Evan; 12-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I've only followed a few videos but I'd like to see videos that cover the problems that come up. A newbie like myself looks at one of these videos and everything is running smoothly. I want to see when they do when a dog totally breaks down or what they do on outright refusals. I feel though my dog is a challenging dog for a newbie (high drive/field trial lines), I want to see how the situations that come up with a challenging dog are handled by a pro. I also don't think everything should be candy coated for fear of animal rights people. There are corrections I've witnessed from pro's that non dog training people might deem harsh, but those aren't the people buying these videos.

All that being said I'm not saying its impossible but I can't imagine training a dog by just a video alone. You need to have experienced people who you can bounce ideas or scenarios off of that can help guide you.
    Jim Holzgen

A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
    ~ Josh Billings

It's been almost twenty years since I coached a high school chess team. At that time the standard rule was you win by NOT becoming the player that makes the last mistake. At the same time there was a popular chess book out called "How Not To Play Chess". The author wrote several chapters on describing basic mistakes and how to avoid doing so. Awareness is a proactive process.

A new retriever trainer generally does not see mistakes ahead of time because they have no experience. While most basic puppy training books will in some way state "avoiding mistakes is important" they ironically add "you learn by making mistakes".

It seems to me that if there were a description of common retriever training mistakes a proactive, new trainer would have some advanced warning about what may crop up in the moment. After the fact awareness is inefficient.

I've often toyed with the idea of writing a book called "How Not To Train a Retriever". I'm totally convinced I have enough material.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Who's going to be the first to put their program on iTunes? That's the one improvement that I would like to see. I'm not always near a TV when I have free time, but I always have my iPad near by.

John, I stated the same way you did back in the day. So I would think that with the new and improved self help training programs. It would be a good place to start.
    Plus, it seem that the author's of the newer programs are more available now a days, then they where in my time. One dose not always have the time or money to go with a pro or group.
    Keith

I have trained my first dog through 3 senior passes using the Fowl Dawgs videos (should have titled but she broke during last test while at honor). I was a complete and total green horn, and this was my first dog. I am sure I created more problems than I prevented, but the she still loves me. . Price for FOWL DAWGS can't be beat, and Rick Stawski will return calls and emails.
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

John, I started out like you with Richard Wolters and James Lamb Free. I remember Wolters didn't do ff or ftp. Somehow I managed to get a pretty good hunting dog. I think with the newer training programs on dvd I could have been a lot more successful.
    But back then there was no such thing as hunt tests. Only picnic trials held by ft clubs. I was rewarded by living close to McKenna Kennels and got some hands on help from Jim Gonia and his assistants. I met some really nice people at the picnics trials and a few snotty ones too.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I second the ITunes. That way we can take the training with us always. I used the Lardy tapes, but did not fully understand them until much later.

Still in the middle of the process, and I used the Lardy DVDs and articles.

I think it depends on the person, their willingness to watch repeatedly, and the type and availability of mentoring available. I'm an pretty analytical person by nature, and I read the Lardy materials and watched the DVDs religiously, but the best resources were a good friend, a friend I have made, and a couple good pros (which may put me a little outside the OP's scenario). There have been several others who have helped from time to time as well.

Even with all that, I am in the process of repairing a major hole that I left, or more accurately in the process of changing my handling approach and thus my dog's responses to me. I don't think there's any way for a rookie to avoid that without a great deal of luck or being some kind of dog training savant.

One thing you have to have is a good training group. There is no resource (other than the "How Not to Train a Retriever" book that I will be co-authoring with Kwick) that lays out all the things that can go wrong and their solutions. Some experienced dog folks are invaluable in that way if nothing else.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"