The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shadow strange behavior

Has he had any bloodwork recently? I do annual "senior" checks on mine which include thyroid and major organs starting at 7.

If that all checks out, can you find a new "job" for him? My almost 9 yo started getting a little quieter recently, and I decided to take back up tracking again after several years in part to give her a job. She had a good foundation at it ~7 yrs ago, and wow, I've got myself a 2 yo again. She's very happy to be back to work. Had her in for her annual bloodwork this week and all came back perfect and the techs were all laughing at how animated she was. Anne

His annual vet visit is next month. I am going to watch him until then. I will discuss all this with my vet. Thanks for the reponses.

It may be more of a phycho issue. I forgot to mention that Shadow used to ride up front with me and now Rowdy does. Shadow is now in one of the dog boxes. But this new riding arrangement been going on for appx 17 months.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Why does rowdy get to be upfront vs the older one?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Why does rowdy get to be upfront vs the older one?

/Paul
    No doubt, rank is supposed to have its priviledges

The ice storm curtailed my training for a week plus. Shadow is now back to wanting to go and waiting at the door to the garage for me to come get him. I think he was having middle child issues. While on our training break I spent more time with him going on walks, etc. Anyway all is good again.
    Wayne Nutt

That is good to hear Wayne.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Sounds like some jelously issues, the old fellar might have his feelings hurt? I think these dogs have more feelings than we give credit too. My Yellow male (Family Pet) was a mess, and grieved as if he was a human when our last old girl past away this past year! He watched us bury her in the backyard, and refused to leave her for several days, and I actually had to kennel him cause he kept trying to dig up the grave site. It tore my wife and kids up seeing all this, He stopped eating, and we was very worried! His only thing that got him back to his old ways was going for runs in the afternoon with my wife (Her running buddy) and he finally took up with the family cat and they became buddies, since then I have our newest addtion my black female, and the old feller is back to his old self!

Not saying this is what's going on with your dog, but the extra attention to your pup may have him down in the dumps, and wondering were he is in the pecking order, I swear I think dogs put on like a little kid sometimes to get extra attention!
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    No doubt, rank is supposed to have its priviledges
    Lol,
    I thought I was the only one who thought that.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

An update. Shadow had gotten over what I think was a jealously issue. Yesterday we went duck hunting. He retrieved all 12 ducks. We only lost one that was still a stong swimmer and Shadow could not catch up to him. I called him back.

It was extremely cold for here. There was about 10 yds of ice out from the shore before the water opened up. Shadow had to bust through the ice and if there was a lull the water would start to refreeze. We busted up some of the ice in route to put out the decoys.

Anyway I thought he had lots of fun. This morning I wanted to let him stay home and rest up. I had to practically fight my way out the door and my wife said he had a fit for a while after I had left.
    Wayne Nutt