The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    ABC devoted their entire Thur night prime time news slot to his death. Then their late night news was also entirely about his death
    He may have been a great figure, but he wasn't an American, and at 95 his death was hardly unexpected.

We've got wars going on. major ice storms, economic issues etc etc etc and they focus their entire news time on the death of a 95 yo from halfway across the world who had very little contact or effect on America
    The news media is a real joke
    I can hear the ringing of that nail as the hammer hits it. Good post.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Guess I was too busy working to notice...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I agree that main stream media feeds us what they think we should hear. There are some folks out there that have different views. Not saying the other folks are right or wrong but they are different.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/67724...l-racist-dead/
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Did you really mean to draw a parallel between Nelson Mandela and Barrack Obama?

No.

I am the loathed progessive, liberal and I would not stretch that far.
    Politicizing the the death of Mandela to further your dislike of Obama is contempuous.

I don't even know where you come up with the politicizing perspective from what I wrote. "Contemptuous"? Kind of a strong word for simply noting a quote.

The only parallel I mention with Obama is that phrase of Obama's about "leading from behind". When I saw it as a quote from Mandela, it's hard not to make the connection. Since Obama has ties to Africa, and has previously admitted his interest in Mandela, I can understand how Obama would have been aware of it, and adopted it. So what?

Among the commentary I've read on Mandela, I was struck by the fact that Mandela went to great lengths to work with the whites in So Africa to heal the country's wounds; to make the govt after apartheid an inclusive one; and to be a strong proponent of the country's Constitution.

A radio commentator today (don't know who it was) made a very good point, that in viewing Mandela's life and accomplishments, if one looked at the whole picture, he ultimately did more good than not, and So Africa was better in the end than it would have been without his contribution.

You may have your fans, but I am not one. JDogger
    JDogger, I don't see this Forum as a place to play to an audience to build a "fan club". I thought it was about discussion. So, if you have different opinions, that's not a problem for me. Not sure why it's such a problem for you.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

There was a very dark side prior to him becoming President. Not one mention of what went on in the late 80's. Bank accounts of whites stolen etc. Every single bank transaction under the microscope. A simple desire as a contractor building out the power grids to send a few pounds to your elderly parents not in South Africa was not simple. People who were skilled earned their paycheck etc still have money that they can't access in South Africa. I was curious about a date and tracked when my uncle left and decided on a 4 week break that it was dangerious to return. It was August 1989. It is 2013 and he still can't get his money out.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Guess I was too busy working to notice...
    Damn, I thought you were a liberal?
    Bill Davis

They just paused for a moment of silence for Mandela before the start of the Philly/Detroit game. WTF??
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Anyone with African blood of any degree is the new royalty of the USA ( jmho ). Especially after Obama was elected according to our news media. Of course this does not apply in some countries. I never get to be royalty because I'm a really mixed up mixed breed tic
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    There was a very dark side prior to him becoming President. Not one mention of what went on in the late 80's. Bank accounts of whites stolen etc. Every single bank transaction under the microscope. A simple desire as a contractor building out the power grids to send a few pounds to your elderly parents not in South Africa was not simple. People who were skilled earned their paycheck etc still have money that they can't access in South Africa. I was curious about a date and tracked when my uncle left and decided on a 4 week break that it was dangerious to return. It was August 1989. It is 2013 and he still can't get his money out.
    Check your time line Luvy. Mandela was in prison (9 well house arrest by this time, late 80's) and wasn't released until Feb of 1990. He wasn't elected SA pres till 94. So during this "dark period" the whites were in power and controlling all of SA.

I for one cannot imagine what it would be like to live under apartied and since I am but a human being, reserve any and all judgement on what people had to do to change it. Look at the whole of his life and then form an opinion. After 27 years in prison, he had evey right to be a bitter, vengful man and choose instead a path of peace and reconciliation. No saint, but a pretty good human being. And a person who had an huge impact on a country and the world.

And I have to smile when the uber right goes on the attack as Newt and Ted praise Mandela and are castrated for it. They love to eat there own.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Check your time line Luvy. Mandela was in prison (9 well house arrest by this time, late 80's) and wasn't released until Feb of 1990. He wasn't elected SA pres till 94. So during this "dark period" the whites were in power and controlling all of SA.

I for one cannot imagine what it would be like to live under apartied and since I am but a human being, reserve any and all judgement on what people had to do to change it. Look at the whole of his life and then form an opinion. After 27 years in prison, he had evey right to be a bitter, vengful man and choose instead a path of peace and reconciliation. No saint, but a pretty good human being. And a person who had an huge impact on a country and the world.

And I have to smile when the uber right goes on the attack as Newt and Ted praise Mandela and are castrated for it. They love to eat there own.
    Luvvy isn't deterred or influenced by facts. If it doesn't look like, think like and act like Luvvy then her default reaction is to spew hate filled rants