The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: water

Default water

My question is is it possible to have a competitive retriever when you dont have access to tech water daily. I have one place with a small tech pond I can use but dont like to over use it fear of losing permission. Then I have a few plain jane ponds I can use and then some nice tech ponds I can train on every couple weeks. Is it possible to train an afc like this thanks
    HRCH Wagzu's Sound of Dixie--Echo
    Warbird's Little Call Girl--Hooker
    RIP Smokingolds Wild Child--Rebel

Your ability as a trainer will be a bigger factor ...It sounds like you have about all that is needed...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

a typical AA field trial has at least two water series(one blind, one set of marks)top notch trainers are always in search of new "usable"water as opposed to a round non descript body of water. You would be putting yourself at a real disadvantage without some water, especially when the weather warms up and you need to cool the dog off...water is more than the staff of life in the FT world

Sooner or later your dog will need to be able to negotiate a channel blind,getting on/off a watery point,and going from land>water>land or similar combination

Can it be done ? I am sure someone out there has accomplished the feat with less than ideal grounds...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"