The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete Shut Down

Had major shoulder surgery myself about 18 months ago. It took almost a year before I considered it worth having. Hang in there and don't worry about the dogs. They will be fine and can just wait for their master to heal. Best advice, don't rush back into anything that might re-injure your shoulder. Follow your Dr and PT's advice to the letter. Good luck!
    Magnolia Jazz of Kerrybrook (Kerrybrook's Vince x Kerrybrook's All That Jazz)
    Gahonk's Ms Behavin' (Gunstock's Lethal Weapon x Gahonk's Tizzy)
    Guns of Autumn SH (Jazztime x Canby's Magic Spell)

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Hope you have a speedy recovery!

In the meantime, milk it. Have the wife/GF give you lots of attention.
    If you can have both giving you attention at the same time you may not live through the surgical recovery.......

I got a note from one of the dogs and their opinion is that you will do well and they needed a break anyway.

I was lucky my shoulder fix was done with a scope and post surgery visit with doc he said "you can make it hurt but you can't hurt it." So it gets achy but I can throw overhand for the first time in 50 years.
    Last edited by jacduck; 12-07-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown49 aka Otey B View Post
    Jim it sucks getting old......I have aches and pains about everywhere now. Hope you get better soon. The dogs will be fine just chillin...........
    Oh you guys are just kids!!! Okay, I'm 67 and it's all relative.

Get well soon Jim.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

The one thing that bothered me the most before the injury was the wide range of opinions on recovery. To set this....here's what happened. May 23rd, I was betrayed by my bifocals in our trilevel. I made two mistakes.....not looking down and not couting to seven. Making a full force landing on the top of my shoulder ripped the rotator cuff completely off the bone. I managed to avoid going to the doctor because I had things to do.

Fast forward a few months and the swimming pool self-therapy had me able to lift the left arm about waist high. Giving left angle backs was done by propping my left arm with my right. Daily exercises were pushed to a tolerable pain level and I kept reading the anecdotal Internet babble on shoulder injuries. I went fishing regularly all summer and manage to steer my ProDrive mud rig with the bad shoulder. Netting a big catfish was interesting to say the least.

I finally came to grips with the fact that it wasn't going to heal. An early fall MRI revealed how much damage had been done. However, the pool therapy had managed to make it possible to just be able to mount my shotgun. Two weeks before early September Illinois teal season, I decided to shoot a round of trap to see what was really possible. The pain was tolerable and I broke 15 of the last 22. Then called my doctor and asked him how long I could delay the surgery. His reply was the longer you wait the less likely re-attachment will be possible. We compromised on the week before Thanksgiving.

I hunted every day that I could squeeze into this small window. A few days were spectacular....all were just good days in marsh. I made the right choice because evidently I was lucky. The detached muscle was not atrophied and ligament re-attachment went well. In addition, a bunch of age related shoulder issues were "cleared out", too.

The horror stories of long term, terrible recovery issues have not been what I've experienced (so far). It's been three weeks since surgery and I stopped taking the pain pills a week ago. I just finished today's 2nd daily home therapy exercises and getting ready to put the sling on..........and I don't think I'm supposed to being doing this, but I'm typing with both hands on the keyboard with no pain.

The info I had about my surgeon being a shoulder "guru" must be true.

Edit: Even though I'm 73 it doesn't make this age related......unless you count the bifocals.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 12-07-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

You might have fun teaching your dogs to do some tricks during your recovery. I bet you can shape all kinds of behavior from the comfort of your recliner by marking with the word "yes" or something like that if you don't have a clicker and tossing out little snacks. Check out YouTube and let your imagination run wild!

Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Kathryn
    Never say never . . . never say always . . . know when to say when.

Kwick

Reading your posts, the scientic approach you have for things, and the activity you do at your juvenile age, You have become an inspiration to me..

Get well friend..

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 12-07-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I hope you have a great recovery. I enjoy reading your posts and they help me with my dog's training.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

God bless and get well: Three thoughts...

I got this sweet little retriever puppy and shortly thereafter had to get both knees replaced. 1) stupid timing on my part... but if I'd not exercised that bad judgement, I'd either still be gimping around on bad pegs, or without a cool little 5 y.o. dog. 2) It ended up I needed the help of a pro anyhow, not because of bad knees, but just was too ignorant to know what I was doing with the dog. Now both she and I are ready to rock.

Shoulders are way more complicated than knees. Knees are just a hinge. Shoulders move in all sorts of directions. Keep up the good work in PT

I read an interesting scientific paper in the neurology literature the other day. Leading cause of falls in a big study of "elders"... bifocals. I guess we're supposed to wear our regular corrective lenses and then put on the "peepers" when we want to read something.

It's hell getting old, but the alternative sucks worse.

God bless and get well: Three thoughts...

First: I got this sweet little retriever puppy and shortly thereafter had to get both knees replaced. 1) stupid timing on my part... but if I'd not exercised that bad judgement, I'd either still be gimping around on bad pegs, or without a cool little 5 y.o. dog. 2) It ended up I needed the help of a pro anyhow, not because of bad knees, but just was too ignorant to know what I was doing with the dog. Now both she and I are ready to rock.

Second: Shoulders are way more complicated than knees. Knees are just a hinge. Shoulders move in all sorts of directions. Keep up the good work in PT

Third: I read an interesting scientific paper in the neurology literature the other day. Leading cause of falls in a big study of "elders"... bifocals. I guess we're supposed to wear our regular corrective lenses and then put on the "peepers" when we want to read something.

It's hell getting old, but the alternative sucks worse.

Rotator cuff rehab hinges completely on your full and continued participation in PT. I am a RN and coached my almost 80 yr mother through surgery on BOTH of her shoulders about 5yrs apart. She has full range of motion in each. It took dedication and full year each time, but well worth it. Good luck As an amateur trainer myself disabled with chronic degenerative back pain, my dog gets used to our on/off training depending on my health and pain status. As long as she doesn't get deconditioned, she's always ready and able to resume training.