The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Saturday afternoon question

Default Saturday afternoon question

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

Gunner and mark.jpg

Three pictures I am showing. One the front view, the other the side view and one where I threw the mark. When you throw the mark into the back portion of the field in the cover, the dog hunts short in the front cover. He eventually runs through and figures it out. When I bend down to see what the dog sees it appears the front cover is the back cover. Is it fair to throw and teach this mark?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Good bird placement! A place that dogs don't want to go, a field trial mark. In the front of the cover a place dogs want to go. Can you see dog the entire time? Are you using remotes or is a person throwing? is it a stand alone? Is the dog at a older Derby or Qual (master level) ? Now I might get thrown under the bus for this next statement, but, everything in TRAINING is mostly fair. Sterile, generic marks, in transition training or above will not enhance your dog's marking IQ. Better to do singles etc until the concept is learned . You want in the early stages for a dog to use their eyes, then start to use their eyes and nose, then to move in and out using eyes first then nose, then both until the bird is picked up. I see you have a QAA after one dog. It is what it is qualified all-age, even if you never run a all-age stake. Train at the next highest level.
    Earl Dillow

Thanks FYI I am doing a stand alone mark and you can see the dog the entire time.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

There is a phrase that Ted Shih uses that has always made an impression on me it goes something like "..make the path to the bird tough, but make the bird easy to find.."

Now obviously one cant do that all the time, even in a perfect world, but it goes back to what Bill Connor would tell me when he would describe test from days long gone by..way before the mode was to make the marks the length of a challenging par 4...the tests he described had the dogs fighting thru tough cover without having colossal distances...however todays agronomy and farming practices have eliminated many of those types of terrain, and as Earl pointed out bird placement is of paramount importance
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I believe this is tough only because of the depth perception the dog has...I am assuming the mark appears to fall behind or in the first cover to the dog....Steve S PS: tried to send you a pm but couldn't it to go....
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 12-07-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Good mark...Dogs don't like to go close to trees, especially a mark under them.

Like that mark!
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

Gunner and mark.jpg

Three pictures I am showing. One the front view, the other the side view and one where I threw the mark. When you throw the mark into the back portion of the field in the cover, the dog hunts short in the front cover. He eventually runs through and figures it out. When I bend down to see what the dog sees it appears the front cover is the back cover. Is it fair to throw and teach this mark?
    PM acting up?
    Earl Dillow