The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: British field trials?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilBernardi View Post

I agree that US line manners (and field) need vast improvement.
    This begs the questions. Does judging line manners in FTs and HTs need to improve? Does our criteria for breeding need to change to better select for these behaviors? Are they related? In other words, if whining, creeping, etc. is more of a genetic factor, would simply judging line manners more strictly (more along the lines of the Brits) while keeping our FTs and HTs format otherwise the same improve the breeding selection criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by dpate View Post
    This begs the questions. Does judging line manners in FTs and HTs need to improve? Does our criteria for breeding need to change to better select for these behaviors? Are they related? In other words, if whining, creeping, etc. is more of a genetic factor, would simply judging line manners more strictly (more along the lines of the Brits) while keeping our FTs and HTs format otherwise the same improve the breeding selection criteria?
    The environment selects for fitness, and we humans are part of the environment that "selects". You tell me.
    HR Surrey's Space Dog Nala

The best long range duck load is a well trained retriever - Nash Buckingham

Sign me up, as an owner of a calm, quite, utterly Obedient dog, who runs a quartering brace with upward to 8 akin well mannered dogs; who require no whistle to sit on flush and don't break; this driven hunt sounds like a good time in the field. Although I'm pretty sure my Lab she'll be giving those Beaters some interesting looks, wondering at the insanity of men who insist on doing her job. But hard to do better than a romp through some beautiful English landscape, with good company; we can drink tea and eat sausages with the best of them, only not sure where I'd find tweed in my size .
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

This is a very nice read and glad to see it hasn't turned into a 'who's better than who'. I pretty much have stopped posting/visiting this site bc of all the negativity towards the type of dog I choose to run. The qualities i look for when hunting or running a test seem to fit very nicely with what the UK looks for in its trials. Not everyone shares my opinion and I respect that.
    Castle Heights Gundogs

Mossy Oak Pro-Staff
    Sportdog Field Staff
    Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Buck Gardner Pro-Staff

I think the "problem" of noise and unsteadiness is vastly overstated. It is rare to see unsteadiness or whining in AA FT stakes. Unsteady whining dogs are very very unlikely to win an AA FT because a tractable team player is needed to do AA work. A lot of folks that characterize FT dogs this way I suspect have not watched an open.....

Quote Originally Posted by kennel maiden View Post
    Not in England...
    laura ,we have spoken about this before ,and you know that just is not untrue
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I will say, if you can get your hands on some of the IGL DVD's from over there, you will see some awesome dog work. I love watching any sort of dog work on DVD, but the British Trials are my favorite because every retrieve is different, and every dog faces a new challenge.

I was really surprised when I first began watching them at how long some of the retrieves are. In the 2010 Irish Championship dvd you'll see dogs watching a drive from 125-150 yards off, with some of the retrieves being 225 yards over a stone wall into the woods. You will also see dogs crossing a very fast river to hunt for game in thick cover on the opposite side.

It's neat to watch, that's for sure.
    -Barton Ramsey

Here is a video clip of a dog performing a behavior very highly valued by field trial judges. The dog is working well out in front of the line where there are a good number of yet unflushed pheasants, but he is ignoring scent other than the cripple he is tracking. It is not unusual for a dog in such a situation to flush a fresh bird. If he chases it he will be eliminated. http://youtu.be/u5wu3VCKrpM
    Robert Milner
    www.DuckhillKennels.com

"When he stood up to speak, battalions of words issued forth from his mouth and scoured the countryside in search of an idea, and when they found one, they swiftly and thoroughly beat it to death." ---- -Anonymous

Thanks for sharing Robert......that was well trained (without e-collar I might add) and a pleasure to watch, well done.

It is this aspect of dog work (trailing a running bird) that fascinates me more than any other. Probably because we humans can never truly know how they do it.

Very nice.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River